Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Can you give it Internet access?
    I think you will want to open a support ticket.
    Well the box itself gets internet access as long as the correct interface is connected to the WAN.

I only have a home license, I do not believe I get support.

Everybody gets support, the difference is the priority assigned to the ticket.

Open the ticket!
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Everybody gets support, the difference is the priority assigned to the ticket.

Open the ticket!
    So I opened a ticket with support. Come to find out, it seems to be a way the device itself sees the interface and the order they power on. According to support there is nothing they can do. If the onboard interface responds before the Intel card during the bootup process, then it becomes the WAN because it becomes eth0. If for some reason the Intel card is recognized first before the onboard card, then the first interface becomes eth0 and then the onboard becomes eth1.

I could probably start messing around in the BIOS and adjusting the IRQs but I just chose to disable the internal onboard NIC instead. Now it never powers on in the BIOS and therefore the Intel card will always be the first device in the boot process.

The downside is that I only have 4 ports instead of 5. I can live with that, I have edge switches I can hang off those ports.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pcovell74 View Post
    ...I just chose to disable the internal onboard NIC instead. Now it never powers on in the BIOS and therefore the Intel card will always be the first device in the boot process.

The downside is that I only have 4 ports instead of 5. I can live with that, I have edge switches I can hang off those ports.
    Perfect. That makes sense. And, with the number of Interfaces you had, that was the recommendation I held back. Onboard Interfaces are usually nothing to write home about.

I have been plagued with this and fought with this, and there are some threads to be found here that I was probably talking to myself. So I wanted Support to look at it. My problematic setup is a 12-year old dell desktop with an internal interface and two old NIC's. It is a test/lab so I am not even using all three, and it was a low priority. I am grateful that you got that done.

So for future reference - (anyone who stumbles on this thread) I would recommend using a 2-port or 4-port NIC and disable any on-board Interface in the BIOS setup, unless it is server iron with two or more ports on-board.

And also know that it is not particularly a good use of resources on the box to use NGFW as a 'switch'. In most smaller networks, it is probably better to hang a managed switch off of one port and use VLANs as necessary. (This is my configuration on the edge router, a u25xw). Then, the through-traffic on NGFW only needs to be the bandwidth of the ISP connection - usually an order of magnitude less than network wire speed.

Again, thanks for putting the time in to research this!
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 06-29-2020 at 08:34 AM.

That is NOT acceptable...

This is a Debian issue though, it's not using the persistent net rules file for udev anymore, but it CAN use that file. That file creates a static mapping for each MAC address to a device name, so this crap doesn't happen.

Untangle should be setting that crap in stone, if we cannot trust the device flags to be constant, we cannot trust our interface configurations at all. This is an old issue, we've dealt with it before, and support needs to escalate this and get it fixed.

But hey, if Untangle leaves it like this it's good news for me. Because this is essentially forcing people to use appliances. Anyone with multiple NIC in a system is going to have intermittent trouble with interface ordering after all.

Hopefully this is an edge case in crap hardware where the BIOS is being unreasonable... but I wouldn't trust that reality. Again, Debian has been here before... this is not a new problem.

P.S. OP, "support" might not be able to solve this, but *I* can... here: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#custom

Mac address to name... DONE. Again, Untangle needs to generate this file so each NIC is hard set to a name, that name will never see another NIC... EVER. And that's fine, because we can reassign the NICs at will later anyway. If we don't we run the risk of interface realignment with every kernel change... again...

It's like the bad old days of 5.0 again. Come on Untangle, get off your green squiggled carcasses and get it done!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-29-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I imagine the problem could be fixed if they went to names like enp19s0. Of coarse we would all complain. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That is NOT acceptable...

This is a Debian issue though, it's not using the persistent net rules file for udev anymore, but it CAN use that file. That file creates a static mapping for each MAC address to a device name, so this crap doesn't happen.

Untangle should be setting that crap in stone, if we cannot trust the device flags to be constant, we cannot trust our interface configurations at all. This is an old issue, we've dealt with it before, and support needs to escalate this and get it fixed.

But hey, if Untangle leaves it like this it's good news for me. Because this is essentially forcing people to use appliances. Anyone with multiple NIC in a system is going to have intermittent trouble with interface ordering after all.

Hopefully this is an edge case in crap hardware where the BIOS is being unreasonable... but I wouldn't trust that reality. Again, Debian has been here before... this is not a new problem.

P.S. OP, "support" might not be able to solve this, but *I* can... here: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#custom

Mac address to name... DONE. Again, Untangle needs to generate this file so each NIC is hard set to a name, that name will never see another NIC... EVER. And that's fine, because we can reassign the NICs at will later anyway. If we don't we run the risk of interface realignment with every kernel change... again...

It's like the bad old days of 5.0 again. Come on Untangle, get off your green squiggled carcasses and get it done!
    This is my home network, I am hanging off a couple edge switches (manged) to do most of the legwork. No need for VLANs here. No VOIP or SANs on this network. Just a buggy teenager that wants me to poke holes in the firewall for UPNP gaming. LOL

I am a Sr. Network Admin at work, so when I get home the last thing I want to do is troubleshoot the network. Make it as easy and safe.

Thanks for all the help.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123