Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Tivo program guide data failing after working for years

Up until I bypassed the Tivo box (which fixed things) the last successful download of programming data was June 30 (last day of June so I thought maybe there was some Tivo infrastructure changes on the 1st of the month or something that was causing the issue).

When I attempted the connection (which failed while negotiating) I didn't see anything being blocked in the web report, firewall report or the ad report. However when I bypassed the source ip of the Tivo box the same connection attempts now succeeded. That's well and good, things are working but I still wonder what was interfering/blocking the attempts prior?

Is there a way to search the logs globally in the hopes to identify the culprit? Bringing up all of the reports is time consuming and it's possible I might have missed it due to number of rows. It would be nice to have a global search on all events.

Quote Originally Posted by gwar9999 View Post
    Is there a way to search the logs globally in the hopes to identify the culprit? Bringing up all of the reports is time consuming and it's possible I might have missed it due to number of rows. It would be nice to have a global search on all events.
    Short answer: no. There are several different database tables involved.
    However, here is a thread with a suggestion.
    https://forums.untangle.com/reports/...tml#post243332

The most obvious missing report with that would be Web Filter.

Also, this post might help:
    https://forums.untangle.com/networki...tml#post243731
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 07-17-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwar9999 View Post
    ...but I still wonder what was interfering/blocking the attempts prior?
    We don't know what Apps you have configured.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Master Untangler

Same issue, june 30 was the last successful call. I argued with tivo so much for a week they actually sent me a new unit. I would have bet money it wasnt my network as when running tcpdump i could see connections on 80,443,8081 to the tivo service but the box would not connect. I have a pretty complex network with UT being the brains of the operation. Finally by passed all internal gear and ran tivo direct to UT with no joy. Didnt think to bypass so just did and can confirm bypass works perfectly so its something the processing of tivo data. Nothing has changed on my end as far as config, all worked hunky dory till june 30, all my logs, ids, web filter, app control even pihole show clean. But UT is blocking something that is critical. Any idea on how to troubleshoot?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by ifican View Post
    Any idea on how to troubleshoot?
    Not knowing your configuration in detail, this is what I would try:

• First check the hosts tab to make sure that your device doesn't have any unexpected tags in the hosts tab that influence traffic. (May sound crazy, but I had exactly this happen yesterday.)
    • Add a bypass rule (Config -> Network -> Bypass rule) with your device's IP address as the source address. Reboot Untangle. If the problem goes away, it's a problem with Untangle apps. If not, it is likely something outside Untangle. In any case remove that bypass rule after the test.
    • Turn off the filter/firewall apps one by one to determine, which one causes the problem. (Not sure, if this requires a reboot of Untangle in between, to reset the existing session). This should eventually tell you the app that causes the problem. Turn all the other ones back on to make sure that there's only one app causing the problem. Once you have that app, you'll need to dive deeper into the specifics of that app.

Anyway, just my
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Master Untangler

Good call on turning off apps i hadnt thought of that. So its the web filter but the web filter shows nothing blocked, Need to keep digging, thx.

edit:
    So i only have about 8 things blocked on webfilter, i uncheck all, no joy. Ultimately shut off (unchecked) everything in web filter and still no joy. Logging for anything web filter does not show any block for flags for any of my ip's in questions. Adding the ip to pass clients list fixes it. Any idea on how to determing what in web filter is causing the issue?
    Last edited by ifican; 07-18-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Master Untangler

Good call on turning off apps i hadnt thought of that. So its the web filter but the web filter shows nothing blocked, Need to keep digging, thx.

edit:
    So i only have about 8 things blocked on webfilter, i uncheck all, no joy. Ultimately shut off (unchecked) everything in web filter and still no joy. Logging for anything web filter does not show any block for flags for any of my ip's in questions. Adding the ip to pass clients list fixes it. Any idea on how to determing what in web filter is causing the issue?
    Perhaps WebFilter is only adding some categorization information and the blocking happens elsewhere, say in the Firewall app?

What I would try next is reset WebFilter to the default state (if you don't remember the default state, you could do this by uninstalling and reinstalling it), leave it on and turn off all the other apps one by one (perhaps starting with Firewall) and test in between.

If you find that the blocking stops, when you turn off a certain app (say Firewall), turn it back on and take a look at the rules in that app.

If things are still blocked after you turn off all the other apps, I would start looking at the session information under Reports -> Network -> Sessions. First set a narrow timeframe, then add your client's IP address as a filter. You may need to increase the number of sessions displayed on the top right to make sure you see all of them.

Depending how "talkative" this client is, there might be many sessions going on and it might be a bit tricky to find the ones that are trying to do this download. But once you've located those, take a look at the details panel (expands from the right via the arrow buttion) and see, if there is some useful information there.

Hope that helps a bit.

There certainly isn't anything wrong with additional troubleshooting, but I would suggest that ifican and gwar9999 both open support tickets at this point.

If anyone could figure out just what specific URL is being blocked by analyzing the traffic with a tool like TCPdump, that would be most helpful. I don't run TiVo.

Master Untangler

edit:
    I removed the bypass rule and added a web filter client rule to allow tivo and things are still working. Thanks for narrowing it down so I don't have to bypass all of the traffic (just the web filter). I had found it odd that Tivo apps work fine (eg. Netflix) it was just the program data that had issues connecting.

Master Untangler

Thanks Jim. I'll take a look at those threads. It's always odd when something works for years and just stops for no apparent reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast