Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Centurylink PPPoE VLAN-tagged Interface

Hi, home user here that has recently switched from Xfinity/Comcast to Centurylink Fiber. I was able to ditch the CL modem/router and configure PPPoE on my Untangle WAN interface. It connects to CL and the Internet comes up fine. I've been trying to troubleshoot throughput as I can only get about 200MB down and 300MB up at best on my fiber connection. Articles I've read elsewhere say I should assign a tag of 201.

So here's I am befuddled. I am able to connect via the WAN interface without the 201 tag, but when I add a newly created tagged VLAN and disable the WAN, PPPoE does not connect/authenticate. If I re-enable the WAN that has PPPoE configured, it connects! Is it correct to assume my connection does not require a VLAN tag of 201 or should I get the recommended 201 tagged VLAN to work? Can someone help/share their CL to Untagle PPPoE setup or tips on how to get some speed out of their fiber? I'm paying for a race horse, but it's only galloping along!

Hi I am not an expert on this, but my experience is that if you need the VLAN and don't have it, CenturyLink won't connect at all.
    I don't think a VLAN is going to effect your speed.

An issue with CenturyLink is that they are not one monolithic system. They are a bunch of smaller ISPs that have been stitched together as they are purchased, and things can be quite different in different regions. So I wouldn't worry about a random article if you can connect.

Have you talked to CL customer support yet? I would encourage you to have that conversation.

Have you been able to get close to rated speed at any time?

what kind of results do you get from Network [Troubleshooting] [Download test] on NGFW?

I've had a couple tickets open with CL and quite honestly, don't feel up to opening another one with them. They've come to my home twice now and plugged in their laptop and run their VM on their USB stick. Then they showed me their results. 900MB of course. Then I plug in my vanilla laptop running Ubuntu and test in front of them and I get 200MB. Their testing with their USB is all smoke and mirrors. One of their technicians even said as much. Every test I've done on CAT5e, CAT6, WiFi, Ubuntu, Windows 10 normal boot, safe mode, through Untangle, through their crappy "modem" all result in no greater than 200MB down. All my speed tests are done to Centurylink. So frustrated with them.

The only thing I have not tried to test is VLAN tagging on the PPPoE connection interface. But I don't really feel that will be the eureka discovery I've needed because I get the same speed out of their modem/router. In other words, I get the same mediocre speed through Untangle as I do directly off their modem. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Master Untangler

When you had Comcast what was your speed? Long story short, did you have QoS setup on that? 200 Mbps down by chance?

I did that when I switched from DSL to Cable. My DSL was 40 down and 2 up. I had QoS set accordingly. I switched to Cable (300 down 30 up) and could not figure out why I was only getting 40 and 2. QoS works for better of for worse
    Untangle 16.4.1 (Build: 16.4.1.20211102) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

apology accepted, I understand the frustration, as the patchwork affects technical support as well.

Do you have an account on Broadband reports?
    https://www.dslreports.com/forum/centurylink

It is a good place to learn how to get aggressive with CL.

Although I have gotten 'lucky' with a 1st tier tech support rep from time to time, you are probably going to need to push on them hard to get this issue escalated.

Another thing, make sure you have a factory-fresh patch cable, and the 1GB link is successful. Don't crimp your own connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    When you had Comcast what was your speed? Long story short, did you have QoS setup on that? 200 Mbps down by chance?

I did that when I switched from DSL to Cable. My DSL was 40 down and 2 up. I had QoS set accordingly. I switched to Cable (300 down 30 up) and could not figure out why I was only getting 40 and 2. QoS works for better of for worse
    Disabled QOS when I switched to CL Fiber.
    theoak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    apology accepted, I understand the frustration, as the patchwork affects technical support as well.

Do you have an account on Broadband reports?

It is a good place to learn how to get aggressive with CL.

Although I have gotten 'lucky' with a 1st tier tech support rep from time to time, you are probably going to need to push on them hard to get this issue escalated.

Another thing, make sure you have a factory-fresh patch cable, and the 1GB link is successful. Don't crimp your own connectors.
    Thanks for the recommendation to leverage Broadband Reports. May give that a shot. Sometimes I ask myself is this worth the grief? I pay less now than what I did with Xfinity and it is faster. But still I'm on a fiber connection and should get a little better than 200 down in my opinion. At least give me 500 down CL! Arghh!!! Sorry, a little humor on my part.

I only use factory cables. CL did however, crimp their own cable hand-off from the ONT to my media enclosure. But again, their testing shows it is good of course and point the finger to my devices.

Quote Originally Posted by six7one View Post
    CL did however, crimp their own cable hand-off from the ONT to my media enclosure. But again, their testing shows it is good of course and point the finger to my devices.
    Well now, THAT is something I have had direct experience with. It did not go well.

SMH

The 'cable guy' crimping Ethernet cables. They tend to think it is the way to do it, because they have to learn how with coax.

Replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Well now, THAT is something I have had direct experience with. It did not go well.

SMH

The 'cable guy' crimping Ethernet cables. They tend to think it is the way to do it, because they have to learn how with coax.

Replace it.
    I'll have to figure out how to replace it if necessary. CL didn't actually make the cable run, they just terminated the ends. Home builder provided the inside wiring to the general location of the ONT at the garage. I think on that note I will go to the garage with a factory cable and the CL modem to test. If it is an improvement, I'll have to think about re-terminating the ends or pulling a new cable through conduit (yikes).

I am going to back off a little bit, since this connection is between the ONT and their modem. But the test you suggest is worthwhile. Another option is to get a 50' or 100' patch cord. The best place to get these supplies is an electrical supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by six7one View Post
    I'll have to figure out how to replace it if necessary. CL didn't actually make the cable run, they just terminated the ends.
    Terminated the ends with what? Modular plugs or Jacks?

Re-termination on surface-mount jacks can be easy to do properly.
    RJ-45.jpg

Then you will have patch cords at either end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast