Untanglit

Default Guide for setting up Nat loopback and also giving local ip/ports names to access by?

I'm fairly new to untangle and I have Untangle 16.0.1 running at the moment.

I'd have a home server that I'd like to set up a Nat loopback so I can access the webserver I'm running from within my LAN without having to use a VPN.

Also, I'm running a few docker services on the same machine that I can access by typing "server-address: port". I'm wondering if there is a way to set up host names in the untangle router to give those specific addresses/ports names to access by.

So instead of typing 192.168.1.145:9000 I can just type portainer.worklab to access 192.168.1.145:9000?

Thanks
    Last edited by Syraza; 10-18-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Accessing a local web server isn't about NAT, it's about DNS. As for IP: port to names, again... DNS. You cannot remove the port number, but you can replace the IP address with whatever you want. Just go to your DNS tab and make the entry.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

What you're asking can be done with reverse proxy. This is more common when accessing from the internet (no port forwarding necessary + subdomain certificate for https) but can also be done on your local network.

I was going to say a reverse proxy is over complicating it... but if you want 1.2.3.4:9000 to respond to whatever.local and 1.2.3.4:9001 to respond to whatever2.local... yes that's exactly what you need.

But you'll still need to use the DNS tab to make whatever1 and 2.local resolve to the proxy's IP address.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks. I'm using Traefik 2 as a preverse proxy but not able to access my subdomains while on the LAN, thus the nat loopback. I'll look into the DNS tab. TY

Untangle doesn't do "NAT Loopback" at least by name. What it does is port forward based on what you tell it.

So if you don't make the port forward rule interface locked, it'll loop back just fine.

For example:

Destination Address: 1.2.3.4
    Destination port: 80,443
    Protocol: TCP
    New Destination: 192.168.1.100

That rule will forward any traffic landing on TCP 80 or 443 on 1.2.3.4 to 192.168.1.100, it doesn't care if the traffic is coming from inside or outside the network. That rule includes NAT Loopback.

It sound to me like you might be barking up the wrong tree, you probably just need to get your DNS sorted. That's what the DNS tab is for!
    NexgenAppliances.com