Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default UDM Pro Behind Untanlge

    Trying to figure out the best way to setup a UDM pro behind untanlge. The UDM device wants the wan port hooked up but then I'm going through a double NAT if I just use a switch port on the UDM and turn dhcp off on the UDM things work but then the UDM thinks it's disconnected from the internet and a can't use the built in apps over the internet. There's No bridge mode for the UDM. I don't want to bridge untangle and I'd rather not have to pay for another fiber account. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to dig deeper into what untangle can do and do something like bypass traffic or routing traffic. Can someone point me in the right direction besides the direction of just throwing the UDM pro in the trash Basically I need the Wan port from untanlge with no nat I guess
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pcwatermods; 12-17-2020 at 03:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,038

    Default

    If UDM isn't your router, it isn't being a UDM.

    If Untangle is bridging between your UDM and the rest of your Unifi gear, even more problems show up.

    UDM only works if you're going to operate a 100% Unifi stack. What you need is a Unifi controller, and to ditch the UDM.

    UDM is vendor lock... which is why I haven't, and continue to not recommend them despite my continued evangelism of Ubiquity networking gear.
    pcwatermods likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  3. #3
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    If UDM isn't your router, it isn't being a UDM.

    If Untangle is bridging between your UDM and the rest of your Unifi gear, even more problems show up.

    UDM only works if you're going to operate a 100% Unifi stack. What you need is a Unifi controller, and to ditch the UDM.

    UDM is vendor lock... which is why I haven't, and continue to not recommend them despite my continued evangelism of Ubiquity networking gear.
    Hi Sky-Knight, I'm not even using the UDM as a controller, using a nas for that i just need apps from the UDM
    udmpro.png

  4. #4
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,038

    Default

    What apps?

    The UDM is just a WAP, a Router, a controller, and a switch all rolled up into a single box.

    Nothing it does from the software side is any different than a regular controller.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  5. #5
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    What apps?

    The UDM is just a WAP, a Router, a controller, and a switch all rolled up into a single box.

    Nothing it does from the software side is any different than a regular controller.
    Does a lot of different things then a controller and you have to use a UDM pro if you want to use Unifi Access app. This is why I'm trying to get it to play nice or it would be on a shelf collecting dust.
    udmpro.png

  6. #6
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,038

    Default

    Oh... yeah the new cloud stuff.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  7. #7
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Oh... yeah the new cloud stuff.
    Yep there's nothing dreamy about it just nightmares. Time to just box it up and throw it in with the rest of the crap I bought from them. Honestly it's probably best not sure why all their products run so damn hot even the AP's that everyone loves. It's not just their Unifi line that runs hot even the edge stuff seems to run a lot hotter then my other gear.

  8. #8
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcwatermods View Post
    Yep there's nothing dreamy about it just nightmares. Time to just box it up and throw it in with the rest of the crap I bought from them. Honestly it's probably best not sure why all their products run so damn hot even the AP's that everyone loves. It's not just their Unifi line that runs hot even the edge stuff seems to run a lot hotter then my other gear.
    Yeah, I love their stuff but only when mucking with layer 2, and the new "protect" stuff is useless to me.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  9. #9
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I gave up on unifi routers. My usg pro is sitting as a backup just in case. The switches and AP’s are good. I have everything running through the unifi cloudkey GEN 2+. Protect runs perfectly fine through that. I have about five unifi protect cameras in my house. I’m slowly getting rid of nest.
    pcwatermods likes this.

  10. #10
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I think I'm going to give it one more try with a 1:1 NAT maybe that's what I'm looking for at least I'm learning more about Untangle and VMware. I'm definitely leaning how powerful for lack of a better word untangle can be when you start to understand it a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2