Default Server DNS Not Reaching Internet

Hi all,

I've been working on switching over my network to a new server. I'm a bit new with networking, so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure I only changed the IP address to port forward to the new server and took the old one down.

This is a pretty simple network. Only one MS Server 2019 with active directory/dns that networks out to the rest of the devices, set with IP: 192.168.10.3, Gateway: 192.168.10.254 (the Untangled firewall), DNS: 192.168.10.3

Router is connected to the Untangled firewall, which goes to the switch (Cisco config-free) where the server and all other devices are connected.

The Untangled network config is as follows:

Interfaces, external is set to the ISP IP/29, internal as the Untangled 192.168.10.254/24

Port forward rule set as follows:
    If protocol=>TCP, if destination port=>25,444,443,987,1723,80,465,110,587, if destination address=>my ISP static then new destination=>192.168.10.3

Bypass rules set for VOIP ports 5060 and 4569, bypass PPTP (TCP) port 1723

Everything else is empty/default.

With all the settings above, the local network functions fine, remote desktops from the outside are connecting in fine, web hosting is working fine, but the server and all devices are not getting regular internet sites (Chrome browser reporting bad DNS config).

I even went as far as to clean install the OS on the server because I thought I messed something up, but even that didn't make a difference, so now my attention is on the Untangled server.

Is there anything else I'm missing? (Additionally I'll add that I'll be installing Exchange on the server as well, in case I'm missing settings that deal with mail-flow as well.)

Any feedback is appreciated!
    Last edited by mflobri; 12-19-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Untangler

Is your dhcp giving out the new dns address?

Shamefully I admit DHCP is probably my least knowledge.

Not sure where to find that on the Untangled firewall, though the DHCP tab in config is empty.

On the server ipconfig /all says DHCP is not enabled (I never enabled it before and it was working fine).

EDIT: Sorry I was too quick to say that. After reminding myself what DHCP is, I can say we've never used DHCP, everything has a manually assigned IP. We have a separate firewall with a different ISP static for a VPN tunnel, and most client devices need that assigned in the gateway address.
    Last edited by mflobri; 12-19-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Untangler

So you set everything static? If so dhcp is not involved. Does the dns test on Untangle's troubleshooting page work?

Yes everything is static. In the DNS test entering untangle.com, google.com, or any other external domain tests successfully. Using the IP for the Untangled server 192.168.10.254 as either Primary or Secondary DNS on the server/any device gets the internet fine, it's when using only the server hosting the domain/network 192.168.10.3 as DNS that it fails (but other services work fine like remote desktop and IIS website).