Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm referring to whether or not you recommend users use IPv6 on their home networks running Untangle. I'm not referring to any particular setting on the screenshot you attached.

Quote Originally Posted by sclawrenc View Post
    Sorry for the confusion.

I'm referring to whether or not you recommend users use IPv6 on their home networks running Untangle. I'm not referring to any particular setting on the screenshot you attached.
    Untangle can handle v6 on a kernel level but as far as I know the apps aren't processing it yet. So, generally speaking the answer there is no. The functionality needs to cook.
    sclawrenc and CMcNaughton like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks sky-knight. I don't think I really need the v6 stuff now anyway.

On another note, how does the gaming traffic automatically get bypassed? Does it have a list of gaming servers or does it see the app and then bypass it?

Also, I've heard that mDNS, which I believe is required to have my IoT devices talk to my private devices, doesn't work out of the box with Untangle. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Also, I'm still torn with the 50 device limit. I really wish I could monitor all of my devices at home and not be limited to the 50 limit rule with out paying $150 annually. $50 per year is doable, but $100 or $150 is not so attractive. For the home user, I would be sold now if I could use all of my devices at my home.
    Last edited by sclawrenc; 02-26-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Gaming traffic isn't bypassed, UDP streams get bypassed after the initial packets are inspected. So the UDP streams which tend to be how games communicate don't get degraded performance long enough to impact actual gameplay.

mDNS doesn't work, and if you setup an mDNS server you may as well not segment your IoT devices into their own VLAN. It's that large of a security problem. Yes other systems let you degrade your security with a nice pretty GUI, Untangle doesn't... at least yet.

As for the device limit, that's your call. But once again I point out that all of Untangle's competition has the same $1 / device / year price tag attached. So you aren't getting a better deal elsewhere. What you're really talking about is walking away from the security Untangle offers to save the money. And that's a value judgement you have to make.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-26-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

If most of your iot devices are wifi put them on wireless router. They will all show as one device, the router.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Gaming traffic isn't bypassed, UDP streams get bypassed after the initial packets are inspected. So the UDP streams which tend to be how games communicate don't get degraded performance long enough to impact actual gameplay.

mDNS doesn't work, and if you setup an mDNS server you may as well not segment your IoT devices into their own VLAN. It's that large of a security problem. Yes other systems let you degrade your security with a nice pretty GUI, Untangle doesn't... at least yet.

As for the device limit, that's your call. But once again I point out that all of Untangle's competition has the same $1 / device / year price tag attached. So you aren't getting a better deal elsewhere. What you're really talking about is walking away from the security Untangle offers to save the money. And that's a value judgement you have to make.
    Thanks sky-knight. I've read that the mDNS is not a big security threat as long as there are rules in place to block traffic from the IoT devices to the private lan unless initiated from the private lan. Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    If most of your iot devices are wifi put them on wireless router. They will all show as one device, the router.
    Thank donhwyo. That really does sound like a good idea, but I would have to purchase an additional router and setup another wireless network setup which is not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Maybe put all of my alexas on that network or something like that.

Untangle Ninja

If you go with the additional router, get one that can run openwrt.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    If you go with the additional router, get one that can run openwrt.
    Thanks donhwyo. How would this one device with many devices behind look on the Untangle side? Would it just assume one device is sending all of the traffic and I would then need to investigate if I wanted to look into specifics? Would the same Untangle features work with the devices behind the router?

Quote Originally Posted by sclawrenc View Post
    Thanks donhwyo. How would this one device with many devices behind look on the Untangle side? Would it just assume one device is sending all of the traffic and I would then need to investigate if I wanted to look into specifics? Would the same Untangle features work with the devices behind the router?
    He's talking about using another NAT device to hide devices. Because anything beyond a NAT router will present as a single IP address to Untangle, and therefore subvert the device based licensing enforcement.

This will also prevent any attempt at using mDNS, and can cause other headaches. So, beware there be dragons here.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I think I might have been more open to Untangle if the 50 device limit weren't in place or if at least the 50 device limit came with all of the Untangle features, but since that is not an option, I will go with another product as a home user. If I understand correctly, home users are not where most of their focus is anyways so why not give home users a better deal than it is currently? 50 devices is not enough and not having access to other features is also not acceptable, at least to me.

For the true home user, Untangle should have all of the features it used to have and the 50 device limit should not be in place. 100 would be more acceptable especially with all of the IoT devices.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast