Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Expected Outage During Route Addition?

Is it normal for a change in a route configuration to take almost 2 minutes (110s) to save/reload? During this time network access through Untangle is down and Untangle itself is unresponsive.

- 7 static routes; that change periodically.
    - 4 active interfaces

Server Specs:
    CPU Count: 2
    CPU Type: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
    Architecture: amd64
    Memory: 8.33 GB
    Disk: 84.55 GB

This also happens for other network related changes, but those are less frequent than route add/changes, so not as impactful.

Thanks

Saves and resets are based on system performance... mostly disk.

When I have a system doing what yours is doing, that's an indicator the drive is getting ready to let go. Did you slap an SSD in that thing or just use a platter off the junk pile? If the latter, replace that disk... pronto.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks; it is an SSD.

Untanglit

...also, saves to other things are fine; it is just routing and networking config changes.

Not sure then, with the drive out of the mix all that's left is the networking restart itself. And I have no explanation for why that would take longer. Though I will admit, your memory volume has me raising an eyebrow. Is that one of the triple channel Core2s?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Unsure of the specifics; but this is a repurposed Sophos UTM320. What about the memory concerns you? There are 2 x 4GB modules installed.

I removed all my static routes and tagged interfaces and even restarted the server; but that did not make a difference. Is there a way to restart the network services from the CLI and perhaps view a log of that process?

2 x 4gb modules means 8gb of memory, not 8.3gb of memory.

As for your second question yes! Just like any other systemd based Linux...

But... after looking at the output of systemctl status networking on my live Untangle, I'm left wondering if the networking service indeed restarts anymore.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

What is the expected time to restart after changing a route or physical network interface configuration? I know this may vary; but how long does your setup take? I can live with it once I finish my design/setup...there shouldn't be a lot changes after that......but trying to make sure there is not a bigger underlying issue that may appear in other ways later.

Thanks for the comment.

The slowest machine I have in production takes about 5 seconds. Most of them are more like 3 or so.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboys View Post
    What is the expected time to restart after changing a route or physical network interface configuration? I know this may vary; but how long does your setup take? I can live with it once I finish my design/setup...there shouldn't be a lot changes after that......but trying to make sure there is not a bigger underlying issue that may appear in other ways later.

Thanks for the comment.
    I see similar behaviour on all my nodes, when making any network change it takes about a minute for it to apply and give me back access to the GUI. It also drops my ppoe connection and re-establishes it everytime (I can see the IP change).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast