Untangler

Question Changing WAN connection from LTE to fibre

Hi,

Untangle was originally installed using a LTE connection. We now have a new fibre line installed and I would like to change from the LTE connection to the fibre connection in Untangle as the WAN interface.

I have added a new WAN interface and configured it for the fibre line. It is connected and I can access Untangle via this interface from outside using the IP so I know it's working. I then disabled the old LTE interface but as soon as I do this then internal traffic to the internet stops as it is still trying to route the traffic through the disabled LTE interface.

All the forum topics I could find deal with WAN balancing or failover. I am not interested in either as I simply want Untangle to stop using the old interface and start using the new one.

Other than configuring the new WAN interface, wherelse in Untangle do I have to make changes for the traffic to get routed through the new WAN interface? If I look at the current Routes table then it no longer has any entries for the old LTE interface but the problem persists.

Thanks.

Werner

Without WAN Failover, Untangle will use only 1 WAN interface.

Disabling the interface isn't enough, you need to unmark the "is WAN" box, save, then disable the interface. And traffic will kick over. There's a gateway hanging around in the background that's persistent despite the "disable", which is silly... but how it works.

You've made more work for yourself by not simply re-configuring External to meet the needs of your new WAN, and just reconnecting it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the clarification Sky-Knight, I appreciate it Okay so it was something that small and innocuous.

I do understand it would have been easier to reconfigure External but I had to do it this way to ensure quick recovery and continuity in case there was still something wrong with the fibre after installation. It was much easier just failing back to the working LTE interface while ironing out the problems than having to reconfigure the same one over and over. Unfortunately it did come back and bite me because of this one setting but lessons learnt so all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WvdW View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Sky-Knight, I appreciate it Okay so it was something that small and innocuous.

I do understand it would have been easier to reconfigure External but I had to do it this way to ensure quick recovery and continuity in case there was still something wrong with the fibre after installation. It was much easier just failing back to the working LTE interface while ironing out the problems than having to reconfigure the same one over and over. Unfortunately it did come back and bite me because of this one setting but lessons learnt so all the better for it.
    Oh well in that case, enjoy the "bug" that means the interface configuration sticks around even though it's disabled! Beware however, that "IS WAN" box impacts the access rules. I don't think you'll have any trouble on the cellular link because it's probably already nat'd, but you don't want to have a "non-wan" interface connected to the Internet.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com