Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wireless AP Issue HELP Please!!

Wireless access point looses speed after a few hours runtime. Initial boot up or reset of ap, it works great (speeds are 250mbps download) then after a few hours connection speeds through the AP are limited to only 2-5 mbps download. upload speeds don't seem to be effected.

Here is my network map:
    Modem connected to WAN port of Z4Plus
    Cisco 3850 POE switch connected to Internal port of Z4plus
    Wireless AP (Asus RT ac88u) connected to internal port of z4 plus. this is on a separate Vlan.

I have less than 5 wireless devices connected to the 88u. The 88u is set to AP mode, dhcp is not enabled on the 88u.
    When running speedtest on a wireless device the ping time hops around before the download starts and jitter is very high.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Master Untangler

Welcome to the forum.
    First check what speed you get with wired device connected to Untangle. Probably there is a problem with your settings in Asus AP and that will be somewhat hard to troubleshoot.
    Do you run a custom ROM on your AP?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Wired device speed is 300mbps (my ISP cap) consistently through the z4. This issue is limited to the 88u it seems, however the 88u was working(6+years) until I placed it in AP mode behind the z4. The 88u was my router/firewall before I installed the z4 a few weeks ago. Firmware on the 88u currently is Asuswrt/Merlin, however I had same issue with stock Asus firmware.

I also set the 88u up as a router and disabled DHCP and found same issue.

If you have QOS enabled, disable it.

Master Untangler

How's the 88u's temperature? I read that these things can get quite hot after some time. It could be thermal throttling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    If you have QOS enabled, disable it.
    I do have QOS enabled on the z4 but not enabled on the 88u. I am thinking you mean to disable QoS on the 88u?

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    How's the 88u's temperature? I read that these things can get quite hot after some time. It could be thermal throttling.
    temp hovers around 170f. Not sure when throttling kicks in (perhaps 190-200f) but I don't think that is happening.

Master Untangler

Try adding some airflow by pointing a small fan at it and see if you regain some bandwidth, however incremental. That might point to a thermal issue as the root cause. Even a small USB-powered fan that's directly plugged into one of the router's USB ports would be better than no fan.

This guy's post I think almost describes your issue to a T, particularly the 2nd paragraph. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/co...07/post-408711

Master Untangler

Maybe this thing just doesn't work well as AP or you have some settings on that you are not aware of. Did you try finding an answer at Asuswrt/Merlin forum? I would start from there.

Ok so I ran a few test's last night and confirmed results this morning. I found the following issues:

I was reviewing the log files in the 88u and found channels on both 5g and 2.4g bands were constantly switching. Navigating to 88u settings I found the channels set to auto, so I changed it to a specific channel on both bands. After doing this the jitter in the speed test went away and I began to get consistent ping rates of 17ms. Download speeds were consistently 75mps on connected devices.

Secondly I disabled QoS in the z4 and begin to get 450mps download on wireless devices. I think I initially set the bandwidth settings too low in QoS on the Z4, so I changed the settings and I am now getting adequate bandwidth on all wireless devices.

Third as a caution I am installing a fan in my rack to keep the AP cool. It looks like temp issues are common with older 88u's. I may peak under the hood and see if I can prevent any temp issues by correctly repairing any contact surfaces with heat sinks.

Huge Thank you to oj88, Kyawa, and Solider for your help on this topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast