Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mdh

A /8 mask is bad news. You are saying that your Untangle box is seeing a internal address range from 192.0.0.1 through 192.255.255.255. Your internal address range is that wide as well. Change your netmask to /24 on Untangle's internal and external. You are only using addresses in the last octet.

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithBikers View Post
    Well, everything looks ok, but it's still broken.

My Qwest Actiontec DSL modem LAN address is 192.168.0.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.

My Untangle box's external address is 192.168.0.2 / 8 and the internal is 10.0.0.1 / 8 . And all my machines are in the 10.0.0.x range.

I haven't changed anything in at least a month, and adobe.com used to work, but I can't pin down exactly when things broke, as I don't go there very often.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Quest internal address of 192.168.0.1/24 and you have UT's external set to 192.168.0.2/8 that is your problem right there. UT needs the /24 to work with the actiontech properly.

The internal network using 10.0.0.1/8 is very wide, but is legal. The 10 reservation is class a, /8 mask. This means no IP can begin with 10. on the internet.

P.S. The mask being off will be an intermittent problem. That is why it worked before.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

LoL, you should be an insider of ICANN to use /8....

But seriously, you should not use /8 (at home?) even in the office. You're giving you Untangle (even not Untangle) a hard time if you do that.

Untanglit

You know, I feel so sheepish as I re-read my message...

Somehow in flipping back and forth between reading this forum and the configuration page on Untangle, I got the desired /24 swapped in my mind with the actual (and incorrect setting) of /8.

Thanks so much for you help, and your patience, with such an obvious mistake.

Strangely enough, as soon as I corrected the settings to /24 access to adobe.com was instantly restored.

Thanks again!

Untangler

Was this an upgrade? I think this may have changed when untangle moved the 'router' feature out of the rack.

At any rate, resetting the netmask to the appropriate length fixes the problem...

Untanglit

Yes, it was an auto upgrade from the previous version.

Untangler

We have been testing Untangle in several locations for some months - the only server we had trouble on was one that was originally installed before routing was removed from the appliance panel...

Great Product!

mdh

Jonathan,

If this problem would have occurred due to an upgrade, we would have been totally inundated with support calls, and there would have been an engineering patch to correct the problem. Neither of those were the case.

THE biggest problem by far when the router went away from the rack is that people were using ambiguous rules, and the vagueness of the rules bit them when we went to the new networking. It was hard to convert someone's rules if they were using "any" in the rule...your idea of "any" and my idea of "any" could mean two different things, and that was a problem. You may have seen many posts from me bringing that up...that was the reason. Glad you're liking Untangle!

Untanglit

Thanks again for the help in getting my problem sorted.

To my mind one of the great things about Untangle, and an indicator of how much work you've put into it, is how little I have to touch it. It just works, and that seems pretty rare these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12