Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Trouble accessing www.adobe.com

We are having a strange problem. We are frequently unable to access www.adobe.com. We are running in gateway mode and not using the firewall feature - if we bypass the untangle box with a coupler - absolutely no problem reaching adobe - if we patch untangle back in, problem returns.

We have not identified any other sites with problems, nor do we see anything in the logs indicating the cause of the problem.

www.adobe.com resolves with the correct IP, but even accessing by IP is not successful.

Any hints?

Currently running version 5.3 (but also problem with 5.1), dedicated box with plenty of memory and processing power, very low network traffic...

TIA.

can you take a screenshot? what do you mean by 'doesn't load'
    does it connect?
    does it get any data?

it could be an http parsing issue, hard to tell.
    the best way to help out would be to run some tcpdumps on the inside and outside and record the traffic and then post a new bug with a way to replicate what you are seeing.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I mean the browser times out when trying to connect to www.adobe.com - only site (that we know of, to do so) - every other site loads just fine...

Remove the untangle box from the network with a coupler - www.adobe.com loads just fine :-0 ?

mdh

Have you tried accessing it with IP? Wondering if you might have a DNS hiccup.

Untangler

Yes. No luck.

Even with all untangle 'appliances' turned off, it still does not work - don't see anything in the logs either...

With Untangle 'out of the loop' everything works just fine.

Funny thing is that I can ping www.adobe.com and get a reply just fine - we use a separate router, and from those logs, I can see that the outgoing packets do not make it past untangle - even with everything turned off...

Don't know why it would be specific to certain websites... :-?

Untangler

FIXED.

Noticed that the IP address of www.adobe.com started with 192, which suggested a netmask problem. Sure enough, the netmask was somehow set to 8.

This was an upgrade from 5.0 - perhaps due to change in router functionality?

We operate in pass-through mode, so didn't expect a routing/network config issue, especially since icmp traffic was routing correctly.

Anyway, happy to identify a solution...

Untanglit

I think I'm missing something, where's the netmask setting that was wrong?

I'm seeing the same problem with adobe.com

Thanks

DancesWithBikers:

this will only effect you if your IP starts with 192. and your netmask is too big
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah most networks with 192 are /24 meaning a mask of 255.255.255.0.

The OP says his mask was mistakenly set to /8 which is 255.0.0.0.

Using that mask would be bad because it makes your local routing equipment thing it is responsible for everything that starts with 192. This is bad, it is a good portion of the Internet, and it happens to include Adobe.com.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Well, everything looks ok, but it's still broken.

My Qwest Actiontec DSL modem LAN address is 192.168.0.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.

My Untangle box's external address is 192.168.0.2 / 8 and the internal is 10.0.0.1 / 8 . And all my machines are in the 10.0.0.x range.

I haven't changed anything in at least a month, and adobe.com used to work, but I can't pin down exactly when things broke, as I don't go there very often.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast