Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Cannot Print to Printer on Different Subnet

Good Afternoon - I have 2 sites, A and B, connected via Open VPN with Untangle firewalls on either end. All servers are located at site A (.1 subnet). Site A server has a portal app installed on it that can be accessed via a web browser. It can be accessed from both sites A & B without issue. Once accessed, to print a document from the portal, user selects a printer from a list of printers installed on the server at site A and document prints. I have installed printers from site A (.1 subnet) and site B (.4 subnet) on the server at Site A but I cannot print to any printers at site B nor can I install any shared printers from site B on the server at site A. I have no problem printing to any printers at Site A.

Additional information - Site A gets DHCP from a DC at Site A. Site B gets DHCP from the Untangle firewall at Site B. I am located at Site A. I can ping network devices and install shared printers from Site B on my workstation. I cannot ping network devices or shared printers from this server located at Site A.

Might there be something in the configuration of the Untangles that is preventing printing???

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Untangler

More likely windows firewall.

You need to switch the printer config on Windows to use TCP/IP instead of WSD service.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

The printers are using Standard TCP/IP Ports, not WSD ports. I cannot ping these printers from the server but I can ping them from my workstation.

donhwyo - What would I check on Windows Firewall???

Untangler

Don't use windows any more so I can't test but from memory. First turn it off and see if you can print. Then fix if needed.

see and explore the "route add" command line in the side a server
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Check your OpenVPN exports, if the IP range isn't in there VPN users can't get to it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thank you for your comments. I have turned Windows Firewall off and the issue still exists.

I am not sure where to check OpenVPN exports but this does not appear to be an issue with VPN users as it is within our network. The 2 sites are connected via OpenVPN tunnel. I can reach the printers at the other site on my workstation, the server located at the same site cannot.

As I said before, you need to add a static route in the server in site a, and check with ping first
    Last edited by dwasserman; 07-19-2021 at 11:08 AM.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    As I said before, you need to add a static route in the server in site a, and check with ping first
    This is incorrect, if you're adding routes to a server you're making up for the fact that the routing tables are damaged in Untangle or another router being used by the server in question. So either this server isn't using the local Untangle as its default gateway, or that gateway is missing a route. Which would be a missing export.

Never add routes to a device, always add them to routers. There are very few cases where a local routing table hack is appropriate.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast