Untangle 16.3.2
    I am new to VLANs
    Phone vendor installed Ubiquity POE switches, Avaya Switch and phones
    All works
    I created a VLAN, tagged 42, at 192.168.42.1 on the internal network
    They configured the switches so I'm not sure if it's their problem or mine
    I have a PC addressed to 192.168.42.242
    I can ping the phone switch at 192.168.42.10 but not 192.168.42.1
    They have a messaging system at 192.168.42.200 (I can ping) which sends out emails
    I can't ping the gateway, so no Internet access

Not sure how to troubleshoot or what to ask
    I'm in over my head

Thanks in advanced for any ideas

The port on Untangle that owns the VLAN interface, needs plugged into a switch port that's configured to be in all tagged vlans. Unifi does this by default, but if they changed the port profiles, the frames may not be making it to Untangle.

Untangle makes VLAN so stupid easy... it's ALWAYS the switch that's wrong in my experience. And I just did the above to myself yesterday... it's very easy to do.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

As sky-Knight said. I run UBNT POE switches all day every day with UT NG Firewalls at almost all my clients. Setup your VLAN interface in untangle with the subnet you want 192.168.42.0/24 with VLAN ID 42 then tag the at the UBNT switch ports with 42 or tag your VOIP hardware/PBX/Phones with 42. Stupid easy
    Last edited by docdom; 07-22-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Untangler

Not sure I am clear
    The phones and the phone switch, all talk fine to the SBC
    Non-VLAN aware equipment addressed as the VLAN subnet (192.168.42.x) can talk to each other, but not the Internet
    They are telling me to add a route, but is 192.168.42.x (without the tag) routable?

Thanks again

You can't add a route without a target.

You need a map. Where are the VLANs, and what are they connected to?

VLAN is a layer 2 division, they basically carve up a bunch of physical switches into multiple smaller ones. Each collision domain created, gets its own IP network. Now that you're on layer 3, you can route. At this point, you need a router that connects all the ip networks to each other, or several... depending on your needs.

If you do not know where your layer 2 boundaries are, and how you're layering layer 3 on top... you'll never find the answer. And worse, we can't help you. There simply isn't enough bandwidth in a forum post to provide the required information.

I'm personally left confused by a vendor that installs a Unifi stack, but then puts the phones on an Avaya switch... that's insane. Why have two platforms to worry about learning? This is just a source of difficulties... And I'm not convinced you need a VLAN at all in this specific case. I suspect the phones are on their own network, and the switch is acting as a router for the IP network they're on.

If this is the case, all you need is a static route for the IP range the phones use, targeted at the local address of the switch. It would have to be on the same network as Untangle's internal, or something equivalent.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-23-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com