Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Infohead View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I just have a hard time believing that all of these various routers I am testing have this same issue though.
    As do I, the only one I can specifically point at is the Linksys WRT54G, interestingly enough the newer N routers don't have the problem. Linksys is aware of the issue and is working on a firmware to fix the problem on their side.

Beyond that I can't duplicate what you are going through on the configuration I have. Perhaps it's a SBS thing? I've been on the pptp through UT nat on this Vista station for over a week with no disconnects.

Perhaps your UT is running into resource problems? If killing the UVM resolves the issue you've not only disabled all the UT specific securities but reduced the ram the machine needs in trade.

The unit I have in service is an Intel 3000 series entry level server with a quad Xeon 2.4 and 4gb of ram. PPTP is a very time sensitive protocol when it comes to packet delivery and if your UT is delayed by even a hair the connection will bail.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I am currently running pptp setup on windows 2003 standard edition server port forwarded through UT 5.3 without any problem.

I only port forwarded 1723 and protocol TCP

I did however have the same problem with windows 2000 server

I then fixed it by making the MTU and MRU smaller

I am having this same issue with a SBS2003 Standard server. I am running UT5.3 on a T1 line. I have tried to forward port 43 like a previous user posted, but no good. Didn't fix the problem.

This subject hasn't been touched upon for the last 2 months. Has anyone had any success getting this working?

TIA,
    Eric

mdh

Port 43? Typo or goof?

I'd very much like this to be resolved too - I've tried evrything that has been suggested in the forums here and nothing seems to work. I still get the Error 806, GRE protocol packets not being allowed to get through. However this is when i try to connect from Vista. if I try from XP I get kicked after 4-5 minutes regardless of what router/modem combination I am using (I get staff to test fro me from their homes).

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Port 43? Typo or goof?
    Dunno....think maybe they meant 47? But it's (GRE) IP type 47....not port 47. All that is needed is port 1723, and allowing GRE to pass through unmolested.

I have this same issue with UT 6.1 beta 2, portforwarding 1723 to an internal host for GRE.

Some users have no issues. Others are disconnected after 2-3 minutes on the VPN. Baffling .. I've tried disabling Intrusion Prevention and the Attack Blocker (though they're not logging anything) .. don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by lankynathan View Post
    I have this same issue with UT 6.1 beta 2, portforwarding 1723 to an internal host for GRE.

Some users have no issues. Others are disconnected after 2-3 minutes on the VPN. Baffling .. I've tried disabling Intrusion Prevention and the Attack Blocker (though they're not logging anything) .. don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions?
    I've tried so many ways to get this to work without success. I finally broke down and installed OpenVPN. It seems to work ok, but I still have name resolution issues, which were resolved by adding entries to the local hosts file.

OpenVPN just does not seem as graceful as the native MS VPN that is built into XP/Vista. Plus I don't really like using a release canidate (OpenVPN 2.1_rc15) just to support Vista clients. From what I have read though, it's more secure. So if you don't mind installing a VPN client and tweaking it a bit, it's worth a shot.

This is an unfortunate issue. My company is also having issues with PPTP to a Win2k3 Server. I have tried everything suggested in this thread as well as a few others. I have reduced my MTU in stages from 1420 all the way down to 1250 with virtually no effect. We are currently paying for some of the features on this untangle box but if I cannot get this working I will have to scrub untangle all together. OpenVPN is not an option since we are currently using it to tunnel to our sister company. If anyone comes across a reasonable solution (blaming 3rd party gear is not acceptable) please let me know.

rberinger, if you read the entire post you would have seen the answer.

Get, real network cards.

It works fine for me on Intel Pro 100, or Intel Pro 1000 cards. As soon as I switch over to realteck or some other software junk nic I get random disconnects. If you have real network cards and the connection is still dropping for some clients, that is when you start looking at the router on the far side.

You just need enough hardware to make sure that the PPTP packets are delivered on time, every time. This means, over build the crap out of your UT. You need more CPU, more RAM, and better network interfaces than a normal deployment.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast