Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    3

    Default Custom Untangle disconnects often and needs DHCP renewal on external interface.

    I'm an Untagle newb and I'm getting several disconnects per day that can only be fixed by explicitly clicking the Renew DHCP lease button on the external interface.

    I was given an old HP desktop and I purchased two nics. Tried first with just a two port Rosewill, but that was problematic, so I purchased an additional TP Link card.

    Current UT hardware is as follows:

    version: 16.3.2
    uptime: 22d 22h 42m
    Server: custom
    CPU Count: 4
    CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
    Architecture: amd64
    Memory: 8.26 GB
    Disk: 979.9 GB


    Internal interface card: TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Network Card (TG-3468)

    External interface card: Rosewill Dual Port RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Express

    I've looked at several other forum posts that deal with similar problems but I haven't had any luck. Closest to my current situation is this post:
    forums.untangle.com/networking/38520-random-internet-disconnects-ut-12-2-1-a.html

    I've called Comcast and they said they would send "advanced signals" to my modem to resolve the problem. I'm certain that was the agent's way of blowing me off with techno speak. I'm not knowledgeable about networking, but I'm not dumb.

    I had a different modem, and thinking it was a defective unit, I replaced it with a Surfboard.

    I have tried the following with no luck:
    • Swapping nics between external and internal interfaces
    • Replacing the modem
    • Enabling QoS set to my purchased internet speed
    • Disabling apps one at a time
    • Praying to network firewall gods


    I'm willing to provide more information, but I'm not sure what else will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBean View Post
    I'm an Untagle newb and I'm getting several disconnects per day that can only be fixed by explicitly clicking the Renew DHCP lease button on the external interface.

    I was given an old HP desktop and I purchased two nics. Tried first with just a two port Rosewill, but that was problematic, so I purchased an additional TP Link card.

    Current UT hardware is as follows:

    version: 16.3.2
    uptime: 22d 22h 42m
    Server: custom
    CPU Count: 4
    CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
    Architecture: amd64
    Memory: 8.26 GB
    Disk: 979.9 GB


    Internal interface card: TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Network Card (TG-3468)

    External interface card: Rosewill Dual Port RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Express

    I've looked at several other forum posts that deal with similar problems but I haven't had any luck. Closest to my current situation is this post:
    forums.untangle.com/networking/38520-random-internet-disconnects-ut-12-2-1-a.html

    I've called Comcast and they said they would send "advanced signals" to my modem to resolve the problem. I'm certain that was the agent's way of blowing me off with techno speak. I'm not knowledgeable about networking, but I'm not dumb.

    I had a different modem, and thinking it was a defective unit, I replaced it with a Surfboard.

    I have tried the following with no luck:
    • Swapping nics between external and internal interfaces
    • Replacing the modem
    • Enabling QoS set to my purchased internet speed
    • Disabling apps one at a time
    • Praying to network firewall gods


    I'm willing to provide more information, but I'm not sure what else will help.
    comcast sending "advanced signal" is bull crap! Below is my experience and may or may not apply, but worth a shot.

    Short Answer:
    Ask comcast for a technician to test your coax cable for SNR (signal to noise ratio). could be anything from coax splitters, "last mile" connection/hardware on their end, internet congestion,etc.

    Long Answer:
    This happened to me for a month, and outages several times a day. Like yours, Became so bad, i have a special cron script in untangle running every 5minutes that pings random dns servers list just 1 packet twice in the internet and if both fails, restart the networking portion of untangle.

    In the end, their equipment was faulty and when replaced, didn't have dhcp issue and have stable internet.
    Last edited by balrog; 09-16-2021 at 07:47 PM.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by balrog View Post
    I have a special cron script in untangle running every 5minutes that pings random dns servers list just 1 packet twice in the internet and if both fails, restart the networking portion of untangle.
    Would you be willing to share your cron job? I'm a software engineer, wet behind the ears, and I'm a novice with Linux. Either way, I'll check back with Comcast. The agent was certainly feeding me a line.

  4. #4
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBean View Post
    Would you be willing to share your cron job? I'm a software engineer, wet behind the ears, and I'm a novice with Linux. Either way, I'll check back with Comcast. The agent was certainly feeding me a line.
    sure... made this quickly, under untangle and works fine for my needs. note:
    * script creates a log file on exactly the date and time when restarting the WAN interface for troubleshooting and evidence purposes.
    * WAN interfaces and secondary DNS test is hardcoded, change it for your needs. lazy to make it a variable and enhance the script.
    * script will work out of the box and can be customized to your needs if you want.

    edit: formatting is messed up, but will work. don't know the markup to do it.

    [root @ untangle] ~ # cat /root/sbin/testping.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    ### start ###
    # first, ping random public dns. if down, ping ISP teksavvy dns to get 2nd opinion.
    # BOTH must be down to restart the WAN interface which is eth1. Applicable not only to
    # untangle, but to any linux based routers.
    #
    # self contained bash script. only needs preinstalled standard utilities: ping,date,network.
    # by: amvaron@gmail.com May 5, 2021
    ### end ###

    # list of reliable public DNS
    # cloudflare
    array[0]="1.1.1.1" ; array[1]="1.0.0.1"
    # google
    array[2]="8.8.8.8" ; array[3]="8.8.4.4"
    # opendns
    array[4]="208.67.222.222" ; array[5]="208.67.220.220"
    # quad9
    array[6]="9.9.9.9" ; array[7]="9.9.9.11"
    # nextdns
    array[8]="45.90.28.195" ; array[9]="45.90.30.195"

    # Get random DNS from list above
    size=${#array[@]} ; index=$(($RANDOM % $size))
    # teksavvy DNS
    tekdns=206.248.154.22

    # send one ping (ala hunt for red october), try to be good netizen.
    if [[ `/bin/ping -c 1 ${array[index]} > /dev/null ; echo $?` -eq 0 ]] ; then
    :
    else
    if [[ `/bin/ping -c 1 $tekdns > /dev/null ; echo $?` -eq 0 ]] ; then
    :
    else
    echo ====`date`==== >> /var/log/testping.log
    /sbin/ifdown eth1 >> /var/log/testping.log
    /sbin/ifup eth1 >> /var/log/testping.log
    fi
    fi
    Last edited by balrog; 09-16-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks, that has taught me a lot about shell scripts and cron. I used it as-is.
    Comcast actually sent a technician that replaced all the outside connectors. Problem persists, and unfortunately your script isn't working either. It executes, at least from what I can see in the log file, but internet is not restored.

    I'm not sure what to think at this point.

    I have noticed lately that I loose internet connectivity often, but I realize the frequency until I've had to do skype meetings for work. Streaming netflix or the like buffers enough that the minor blips don't really cause problems, but other applications aren't so lucky.
    I wish I could give more precision than 'often' but it is completely inconsistent. It will be completely fine one day and the next I'll have to renew DHCP on external 5-6 times, with minor blips much more frequent than that.

    I'm almost ready to eliminate UT altogether, in fact, I may do that temporarily to see if I'm getting the same behavior without it.

  6. #6
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,174

    Default

    Ahh Untangle... teaching people their ISPs suck since...

    Well, before Untangle was called Untangle to be honest!

    Replacing Untangle will not figure your issue, just potentially transmute it into something else.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  7. #7
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Well, before Untangle was called Untangle to be honest!
    My memory is failing. What was it called before untangle?

  8. #8
    Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBean View Post
    Thanks, that has taught me a lot about shell scripts and cron. I used it as-is.
    Comcast actually sent a technician that replaced all the outside connectors. Problem persists, and unfortunately your script isn't working either. It executes, at least from what I can see in the log file, but internet is not restored.

    I'm not sure what to think at this point.

    I have noticed lately that I loose internet connectivity often, but I realize the frequency until I've had to do skype meetings for work. Streaming netflix or the like buffers enough that the minor blips don't really cause problems, but other applications aren't so lucky.
    I wish I could give more precision than 'often' but it is completely inconsistent. It will be completely fine one day and the next I'll have to renew DHCP on external 5-6 times, with minor blips much more frequent than that.

    I'm almost ready to eliminate UT altogether, in fact, I may do that temporarily to see if I'm getting the same behavior without it.
    my script behavior follows the UNIX way. No output if all is working, log it if you have an issue. Looks like your internet is okay as it can ping the public internet.

    It's possible that you may have background applications that downloads at different times that affects your skype or teams chat. Due to covid with WFH, found this the hard way that games steam and battle.net downloads huge updates different times through out the day and gobbles up the bandwidth and affects my work skype/teams calls cutting in and out.

    The way I've fixed it is using untangle's QoS feature plus bandwidth control app. My plan is to do a bandwidth tiering strategy:
    Tier1: Dedicate high bandwidth no restrictions. Work Laptop.
    Tier2: 30%/45mbps max bandwidth for select endpoints. Personal desktops/laptops. using "limited" feature.
    Tier3: 3%/4.5mbps max bandwidth default for all others. using "limited more" feature.

    The limited and limited more are special under untangle that they don't use all available bandwidth and are set bandwidth. You get 3%/4.5mbps, that's the max you can get 24/7 ever. Also, 45mbps is plenty enough for netflix, youtube hd, and gaming to work.

    Using this strategy, they can download all they want at their set rate and plenty bandwidth for work calls for me and never have issues after that.
    Last edited by balrog; 09-21-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2