Untanglit

Question Untangle limiting upload speed to ~80Mbps HELP...I don't have much hair left!

Background:
    So I have used Untangle for years, have a small business that I manage where I use it too but this issues is for my home setup. I pay the $5 a month for the home license (Thank you Untangle for offering that!) and I just upgraded my home connection from 10Mpbs upload to 1Gbps upload! When I set it up, my speed-tests from the browser showed both up and down at over 900Mbps! Then when I went to show it off the DL was still in the 900s but the UL dropped to 80Mbps! I went to interfaces and clicked edit on the external interface and refreshed the DHCP lease and BOOM, back to >900Mbps for x amount of time, then back to 80Mbps. Record is a few hours but usually within 45 minutes it drops and stays at 80 until a reboot or refresh.

Setup:
    Untangle running on a mini PC and a second running on a network appliance (Not Untangle hardware) that I tried. Untangle is routing with external/WAN to ISP set to DHCP with only a single ISP so no WAN failover, etc. Internal interface (and sub interfaces) are set to static and offer DHCP for their respective subnets. Really this is a out of the box setup, nothing fancy. I have three total subnets, all have the same problem showing the 80Mbps upload when in that state.
    I did not draw a network map as this is really simple but I can if you all need it. Visualization = ISP Modem-->Wan port of Untangle router and LAN port of Untangle router-->Switch port (Untagged on VLAN 1 and tagged on VLANs 2&3 to support the virtual sub-interfaces) Stupid simple, like me!

Troubleshooting steps:
    Wiped and did a reinstall of Untangle and removed everything that can be removed, made sure QOS was disabled, tried running with/without license applied to it. Have a second router (Mentioned earlier) and did the same, fresh install of Untangle but same result, within 30 minutes it was limited to 80 Mbps. Nothing made a bit of difference!

Embarrassing:
    I thought maybe the negotiation between the ISP modem and Untangle was the issue so I placed a stand alone switch between them, same result. I took and replaced the Untangle with an old Nighthawk router (had to update the firmware to support those speeds) and it worked perfect for over a week, no drops in speed ever. So then did this: ISP Modem-->Nighthawk WAN-->Nighthawk LAN-->Untangle WAN-->Untangle LAN-->Switch. It will run forever in that configuration at full speed but as soon as I remove the Nighthawk (the unneeded additional point of failure) the speed drops back down.

Crazy:
    Please help.

Other than verifying your QoS settings, I'll simply point out that speedtest.net is not reliable, and shouldn't be used.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Or maybe a bad cable? The easiest thing to try. Have seen silly things like this before. The nighthawk may not be picking up the errors and dropping the speed down?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Other than verifying your QoS settings, I'll simply point out that speedtest.net is not reliable, and shouldn't be used.
    Thanks, and spot on that QOS is usually going to be the problem. While no speed test is 100% reliable, going from a gigabit to 80 megabits is pretty significant and repeatable across multiple testing platforms.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Or maybe a bad cable? The easiest thing to try. Have seen silly things like this before. The nighthawk may not be picking up the errors and dropping the speed down?
    Yep, replaced all cables to be sure. What errors are you referring to that the nighthawk may not be picking up? Thanks for taking the time to read and assist!

Quote Originally Posted by red3recon View Post
    Thanks, and spot on that QOS is usually going to be the problem. While no speed test is 100% reliable, going from a gigabit to 80 megabits is pretty significant and repeatable across multiple testing platforms.
    The direction nature of the issue makes this a strange one. And I'm going to also recommend you replace the cable between Untangle and whatever is upstream.

When the speed fault happens, try SSH'ing in and doing this:

Code:
    service untangle-vm stop
    Then run your test again, if you get full speed, your issue is in Untangle somewhere. You've configured a penalty box... something.

If the speed remains the same, then something with your HARDWARE is causing it because that's the linux kernel only. It could also be something with your ISP.

Run this to turn Untangle back on.
    Code:
    service untangle-vm start
    There have been cases where ISPs need DHCP to happen on an oddly frequent basis or bad things happen. These ISPs are not compatible with Untangle or anything like it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I have untangle then a Asus router in Ap mode, When it is first hooked up works fine at gig interface speeds but then drops to 100. Not sure if the issue you are describing is similar but I set the interface speed under advanced>network cards to "1000mpbs, full duplex" and the speed now works fine.
    Last edited by Isitpluggedin; 11-26-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Untanglit

When the speed fault happens, try SSH'ing in and doing this:
    Code:
    service untangle-vm stop
    Then run your test again, if you get full speed, your issue is in Untangle somewhere. You've configured a penalty box... something.
    So that worked! Of course also just refreshing the connection does the same thing...back to a 1Gbps upload speed for about 30 minutes to a few hours then back down to 80Mbps until a manual DHCP refresh or stopping/restarting the untangle service. You say "You've configured a penalty box or something" but that is not true, read above...I used even a separate piece of hardware (and new/different cables) did a full usb boot/fresh install, local creds only with the only configs being the subnets, no apps or rules or firewall. I did not even apply my license to it...no configurations at all. Same exact result.

There have been cases where ISPs need DHCP to happen on an oddly frequent basis or bad things happen. These ISPs are not compatible with Untangle or anything like it.
    Well, they work if you put a home router in front of it lol See my "Embarrassing" section in my original post.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Isitpluggedin View Post
    I have untangle then a Asus router in Ap mode, When it is first hooked up works fine at gig interface speeds but then drops to 100. Not sure if the issue you are describing is similar but I set the interface speed under advanced>network cards to "1000mpbs, full duplex" and the speed now works fine.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, if the interface was negotiating or re-negotiating incorrectly you need to set to manual full duplex like you did. This is not the case here, the links are established (and stay that way) at 1GB and I even put a switch in between them "to be sure." Me seeing ~80Mbps where you saw 100Mbps also shows the difference.
    Last edited by red3recon; 11-26-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Untangler

What isp and modem model? Sounds like you have done a lot of trouble shooting to no relief. Maybe it is a bad modem? See if you can get one that provides pass through and do authentication within untangle. Not all ISP will allow that though.

If all else fails create a support ticket by hitting help to the lower right of this page.

Good Luck