Untanglit

Default pppoe mtu problem

After requesting help from the forum for about a week, I solved the mistery of the MTU and MRU that "cannot" be set when setting up through the UT interface.

Whatever your MTU and MRU has to be, just vi /etc/ppp/options and spec it in there. Reboot and off your go!!

DO NOT!!! use the previously suggested ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492 because it does not work.!!

mdh

Actually, it works fine for SOME people, but not all. It depends a lot on how your ISP is doing things, so there is variation from provider to provider. I'm glad you got it working!

Quote Originally Posted by tduplooy View Post
    Whatever your MTU and MRU has to be, just vi /etc/ppp/options and spec it in there. Reboot and off your go!!

DO NOT!!! use the previously suggested ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492 because it does not work.!!
    nice tip!

word of warning: be very careful modifying files directly as they can and will be overwritten by the system when settings are saved.

your best bet is to put a rule in advanced->overrides to tell it not to touch this file. then hit save and verify that it does not overwrite your changes. I'd also turn off auto-upgrade just in case.

can you paste what your /etc/ppp/options file looks like?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Thanks for the reply... I atempted to attach the PDF.

I will definately heed your warning and implement the overrides as well as stop auto upgrades.

I am a DEBIAN loyalist and have searched for this kind of product for ages.

Not only does it work well but the reporting, which is missing on other products, is wonderful!!

I've got 4 deployed allready and will soon subscribe the clients to the pro package

Please let me know if you got it otherwise I will simply paste it or e-mail me...
    Last edited by tduplooy; 08-15-2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Oops