Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ps5 - dmz vlan

Untangler

Wink Ps5 - dmz vlan

Hello,

I've got a few hungry gamers around who'd need to expose (aargh!!) their console to the internet. Luckily I've got multiple static public IPs which I could assign to that PS5 putting it in DMZ, however I would need to do this leveraging a VLAN since there's no way I can get it connected directly into Untangle.

Here's the topology:

BRIDGED MODEM->UNTANGLE->CORE SWITCH->ACCESS SWITCH->PS5

How can I configure Untangle for making this happen assuming my public IPs are:

81.51.1.1 (MAIN)
    81.51.1.2 (PS5)

Thanks for your help guys

NW4FUN

Untangler

anyone?

I would just do a 1:1 NAT. https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/1:1_NAT

Add the additional IP (81.51.1.2) to the WAN as an alias, then add NAT and port forwarding rules for the PS5 (internal IP) so it gets all the traffic from that WAN IP.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thank you!

Would the PS5 have all ports open and exposed then?

Yes, but you can limit the port if needed using additional conditions in the port forward rule.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Yes, but you can limit the port if needed using additional conditions in the port forward rule.
    I guess I'm doing something terribly wrong here...running port tests via ipfingerprints.com shows ports on PS5 being either closed or filtered.
    I'd like to have all ports on the PS5 (successfully NATd to the public WAN IP address set as alias). Can you please assist?

NW4FUN

Untangler

Out of curiousity, why not set up UPNP with an Access Control Rule for each console? I have this setup for a Switch, Xbox, and PS albeit changing the host port at each of the consoles.

This allows for both my boys to play and host whatever games they are playing / joining. So far they havent complained

-MW
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.13.46 AM.png
    dashpuppy likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Out of curiousity, why not set up UPNP with an Access Control Rule for each console? I have this setup for a Switch, Xbox, and PS albeit changing the host port at each of the consoles.

This allows for both my boys to play and host whatever games they are playing / joining. So far they havent complained

-MW
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.13.46 AM.png
    Hi MW,

Thanks for your guidance. Although having UPNP enabled doesn't make me super confident/happy, it may well be a viable solution.

HOWEVER, have you actually tested ports were being successfully opened as required?

I personally tried your config and on the UPNP status it gave me port xxxx opened for the PS5, however, when I went testing the port via ipfingerprints, it resulted to be CLOSED.

I'm VERY confused now...can anyone take me out of my own misery please.

NW4FUN

Untangler

NW4FUN,

Looking back, no I did not check to see if the ports were opened however, I did check the NAT type on the consoles to make sure they were able to do whatever they needed. Ultimately, both my teen boys told me that they were now able to participate in and / or host their own games. I guess I could probably test but its been working for them for well over a few years with their ever changing consoles.

Coming from the commercial Palo Alto and Fortinet side of things (and running at home as well), I used to have a ton of rules to allow all of the games (they all require something different to work). Now, with Untangle and UPNP, my administrative job at home has become that much easier and simpler. I understand there may be some security risks however, using the security rule to only allow access to / from the consoles reduces the footprint.

-MW
    Last edited by mfwade; 01-17-2022 at 08:10 AM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    NW4FUN,

Looking back, no I did not check to see if the ports were opened however, I did check the NAT type on the consoles to make sure they were able to do whatever they needed. Ultimately, both my teen boys told me that they were now able to participate in and / or host their own games. I guess I could probably test but its been working for them for well over a few years with their ever changing consoles.

Coming from the commercial Palo Alto and Fortinet side of things (and running at home as well), I used to have a ton of rules to allow all of the games (they all require something different to work). Now, with Untangle and UPNP, my administrative job at home has become that much easier and simpler. I understand there may be some security risks however, using the security rule to only allow access to / from the consoles reduces the footprint.

-MW
    Users feedback might be misleading as they cannot really measure performances and may assume that whatever behaviour the application (generally speaking) itself is experiencing, is what is normally expected.

Without sounding like teaching how to suck your own egg , all I'm saying is you may want to run a few tests of your environment as in my case the Upnp isn't really coping.

I would be interested in your feedback once done.

Cheers,

NW4FUN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast