Default Two macs, one ip address - revisited

This is a follow up to the question "Two macs, one ip address" originally posted by ctaranto. Like the original OP I wanted to reserve a single IP for 2 different MAC addresses (one MAC at a time).

My use case was to have a single DHCP assigned IP to my XBox wired and wireless MAC addresses. Then the necessary XBox port forwards are made to that IP and don't change when I switch between wired and wireless. This makes it convenient when I occasionally move the XBox from it's normal Ethernet connection in the lounge room to another room with wireless only.

Anyway it can be done with Untangle. First remove any existing static DHCP entry for the IP. Then, under Config / Network / Advanced / DNS & DHCP add a line like this:
    dhcp-host=<MAC1>,<MAC2>,<IP>

eg.
    dhcp-host=58:82:a8:00:f5:d2,58:82:a8:00:f5:d4,192.168.1.100

This scenario may be a corner case but hopefully the solution makes it convenient for someone.
    donhwyo likes this.

Master Untangler

Just make a Reservation, Find the device in the dhcp list click on (+) it will move it to the left, give it a name, then give it the ip address you want it to be, Restart the device or keep the ip it has.

Then make your port forwards.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Just make a Reservation, Find the device in the dhcp list click on (+) it will move it to the left, give it a name, then give it the ip address you want it to be, Restart the device or keep the ip it has.

Then make your port forwards.
    Thanks dashpuppy. Unfortunately this will only allow a single MAC address to be linked to the IP address. I could not add a second MAC address to the same IP using that method.

The solution I posted will allow two MAC addresses to linked to the one IP address to suit the use case described.
    dashpuppy likes this.