Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by jcyphert View Post
    Yes, BUT... how badly will RWW hamper a single DSL Connection? That was the only reason I didn't recommend RWW. If I have an office for of staff working online "surfing and playing games" and ten people out in the field actually trying to work will it be slower then just giving them access to their files. I had intended to make them report lost and stolen laptop ASAP. This way I can just Disable that VNC client.

Not arguing, just trying to find the BEST solution. THANKS for all the help thus far
    Remote Desktop Client requires a little less bandwidth than a 33.6 modem.
    All it is is basic video images and keystrokes, efficiently compressed. It's rather elastic also, when it comes to fluctuating bandwidth.

Actually technically RDP doesn't send video data at all. It compresses the instructions going to the graphics driver to render the display... this information is vector driven and text based and is FAR more compressible than an image. This is why RDP kicks the crap out of VNC and its derivatives... This technology is just awesome.. and I give MS some major credit for stuffing it in. If my memory is correct Citrix came up with the idea, but without making the OS they couldn't pull it off.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Great! Now, not to be extremely annoying but... would it be any more secure to use vnc to connect and then use local http site to connect via rss? This basically allowing me to keep the ports completely closed minus VNC port?

Not natively.
    It's a Microsoft server, they're using their built in HTTPS and RDP proxy technologies to handle all this. I suppose someone could edit the portal website and put in links for web based VNC (java)..but, dunno how tricky it would be to have it redirect and handle the proxy jobs of several users at the same time. Add to that VNC is quite a bit slower than RDP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123