Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default DNS with SBS2003

I can't get Small Business Server 2003 to pull a static ip address from untangles DHCP. It assigns it 192.x.x.17 but my static ip entry for that MAC is 192.x.x.46. Any suggestions? ALSO, I just realized that it also has several IPs assign to it in the "Current DHCP Entries" list with * for hostnames.

strange!

SBS should be set static anyways.
    SBS should also be running DHCP for its network, not Untangle.

Default SBS is different

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    SBS should be set static anyways.
    SBS should also be running DHCP for its network, not Untangle.
    You are quite correct. Regardless of your network setup (all clients go thru SBS, then UT or all clients go thru UT -> then to inet), you should always have SBS as static, DHCP server (this means UT has DHCP turned OFF), and act as a DNS server for your clients. Otherwise you are going to have AD authentication and resource access problems on your clients in regards to the SBS machine.

In other words, SBS should be running your network, not UT. It's a Microsoft thing.

KW, SBSC

Untangler

OKAY, SBS is now the DHCP Server. How do i allow VPN to access unc names?

does having untangle use the SBS as its dns server work?
    Thomas Belote
    Untangle

zay

I have a lot of experience with SBS, and I can tell you this: to have a successful network setup, SBS needs to manage the network. Especially with AD in play, and besides if your SBS server is a DC, DNS helps to make that much easier to work. As advised by the other Untanglers, let your UT function as some other type of node.
    What does it profit you to gain the world and lose your soul?

Unc pathing doesn't work over VPN because the basis of a unc path is the computer name. You can't resolve this name via broadcast thanks to the router in the way so the next step is to get DNS resolution of all client addresses. Then you can approximate WINS style resolution with a DNS lookup and appropriate DNS suffix.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcyphert View Post
    OKAY, SBS is now the DHCP Server. How do i allow VPN to access unc names?
    If it is a small environment and server IP's don't change much, you could use "\\192.168.x.x\share" once the VPN connection has been established. Or you may be able to try to add the internal hostname with the domain like \\server12.domain.local\share".

Untangler

I use SBS for DNS and DHCP. I'm pushing DNS ips out to my VPN clients so they should be referring to SBS for UNCs. It still doesn't seem to be doing the trick. If i type in a computers name it will not let me pull up the shares. This is also true with trying to access AD Shares on SBS which is also DNS and DHCP. Before when UT was DHCP i could use Remote desktop to connect to a network computer via IP. I can't even do that now. I can however access OWA via "http://SBS-ip/exchange"

Why bother going through all the trouble of remote desktop and finding workstation names/IPs...when the Remote Web Workplace portal takes care of all of this for you?
    https:\\servernameorIP\remote

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast