Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7MBps slowed to 1.5MBps, suggestions?

I put an Untangle box: (2ghz cpu with 1gb ram and 80gb sata hd, 2 D-Link 10/100 nics, running version 5.3. in NAT mode), onto a small network (3 users). Their internet cruising went from 7MBps to 1.5MBps. They're happy with the Untangle, but not so happy with the speed.

In the suggested hardware list I see similar equipment suggested for 100 users, but no throughput speeds mentioned. Am I seeing a normal situation here or am I having a problem?

so the Basic question here is: IS this a settings problem with the Utangle, OR is this a not fast enough hardware problem?

If it's a hardware problem: what hardware can I go to a regular store today and buy? What is the ULTIMATE fastest known hardware that works? I've seen complaints about AMD processors, are these complaints still valid? I see complaints about Intel. The store here in town sells MSI and ASUS motherboards, both these brands have issues with Linux, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Yonnie,

If you are using 5.3 and have QoS enabled, you need to set the Internet Download Bandwidth to match your download speeds. We saw the same thing when we upgraded to 5.3.

Doug
    www.vbcnetworks.com
    Last edited by hdallen55; 08-27-2008 at 12:40 PM.

that box seems plenty good enough to me.

have you checked its load and free memory?
    how are you testing? when you download a file do you get different speeds?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

The QOS settings didn't have speed choices available that matched what was available. That qos setting for download bandwidth, is that a manual setting? Or is it a fixed setting? I can just type in a larger number and get it to go faster? The box is 30 miles from here and I don't have remote stuff set-up. This sounds like the answer, the setting as I remember was left at 1500 as I was thinking it was fixed. Maybe I can just call them and walk them through it?!

Actually the end user is the one complaining, about youtube loading barely keeping ahead of the download indicator and the player rate indicator. I was more concerned about things working, ie.. all systems connecting to each other and internet, didn't occur to me that speed was going to be that altered.

It is a manual setting. Under the Q0S tab in alpaca you can enter the download bandwidth of your connection. I've attached a small screenshot.

Doug
    www.vbcnetworks.com

Well, that certainly sounds easy, I'll post results tonight! Is this workable, say, for a network with 200 users and a T3 (45MBps) service? (possible next customer)

btw, QoS is disabled by default so this would only be the issue if you enabled it without changing the upload and download bandwidth settings.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by yonnie View Post
    OR is this a not fast enough hardware problem?
    Certainly not a hardware problem....I have a similar rig running a 75x node network on a 20 meg pipe (2.4GHz, 1 gig, IDE drive, Intel Pro NICs). They can utilize all the bandwidth.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 08-28-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Kinda hard to say if we don't know what network interfaces are in use. I wouldn't even dream of this kind of throughput on anything but Intel or 3COM interfaces.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Hey, it's working like a charm, thanks! I was poking around in there on a much slower network, trying to see how things worked. Then I put it on a much faster network. Didn't realize that setting would limit speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast