Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Monitoring Network Bandwidth with SNMP - Example

I know this comes up from time to time but I figured it would be nice to show an example of this implemented.

I have untangle setup on a Dell Optiplex 330 (celeron, 1GB ram, 160GB HD, 2x10\100\1000 NICs), in router setup attached to an 8mb\1mb cable connection.

SNMP must be enabled within the UT Remote admin portion. I would recommend changing your default SNMP community from public to something a bit harder to guess (8 characters or longer). You can also configure UT's firewall to only allow SNMP to your monitoring machine as an added level of security.

I'm using Whatsup to capture interface utilization, yes I know UT does this on the reports but this is a bit more granular and the trending goes back a lot farther. The graphs are also dynamic and adjustable.

For those without a monitoring system and don't have the funding to pick up whats up I'd recommend looking at the free version of adventnet's OpManager - you can monitor up to 10 devices in the free edition.

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr...load-free.html

Here's the type of info you can obtain :-)

Attachment 876

Untangler

Looks nice, in my case i use opensource software like cacti. Works perfect
    Last edited by Minutourus; 12-04-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Master Untangler

Minutourus - Excellent Cacti setup! I've just begun playing around with Cacti.. it has a bit of a learning curve. I'm actually in the process of trying to setup a Perl script to monitor a voicegateway with Cacti.. any chance you would be interested in giving me a hand?

I am using mrtg and the ping probe. WhooHoo! About 75 hotels. Yes, you are still in the B's.

Master Untangler

Lee - thats awesome!! If you dont mind me asking how are you pulling the SNMP data back to your server?

Quote Originally Posted by Minutourus View Post
    Looks nice, in my case i use opensource software like cacti. Works perfect
    How did you get this data from UT? I downloaded a Cacti virtual appliance and can only get network interface data.
    Dave

Untangler

I'm using MRTG, and am monitoring all physical network interfaces for traffic volume and packets, along with all virtual rack modules, disk usage, cpu load, memory and swap usage. Very useful for getting a good idea on what's happening with the system!

Quote Originally Posted by whatuusay1 View Post
    Lee - thats awesome!! If you dont mind me asking how are you pulling the SNMP data back to your server?
    Just over the internet. The firewall gives me the security. Your IP address might have more difficulty getting data from my servers.

Master Untangler

Lee - what VPN are you running between each server? Are they all running openvpn connections to a main UT?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dhtc View Post
    How did you get this data from UT? I downloaded a Cacti virtual appliance and can only get network interface data.
    Did you configure SNMP in Untanlge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast