Question Free SSL Certificates ?

I was wondering if there are any companies that offer free SSL certificates for personal use ? I'm also looking for cheap SSL for my companies UT box so we can use Open VPN and Remote Access Portal. It would be nice if the free certs were seen on most browsers but I can install a certificate if needed.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Master Untangler

Untangle generates it's own free cert which can be installed in your browser...

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    I was wondering if there are any companies that offer free SSL certificates for personal use ? I'm also looking for cheap SSL for my companies UT box so we can use Open VPN and Remote Access Portal. It would be nice if the free certs were seen on most browsers but I can install a certificate if needed.
    GoDaddy is probably your cheapest bet for SSL certs. Also, I'm sure you mean public as well.

The private ones are good enough, to a point. When it comes to using things like Outlook Web Access, Remote Web Workplace, email through smart phones, etc, etc (things that small business would normally have set up) it's best to go with a Public cert. ESPECIALLY with the smart phones. It is insanely painful trying to hack a phone AND the email server so that you can download emails using an private SSL cert when just purchasing a public cert will do.

Also, in that regard, you may actually want to look at someone other than GoDaddy as my understanding is that they are not actually a full on, root cert authority. Their "public" certs have caused problems themselves.

Master Untangler

I really like RapidSSL. Its a real SSL that you don't have to-do any tricks with.

I use thawte.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com