Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Choosing The Correct Configuration

Choosing The Correct Configuration

I would like some guidance choosing the correct configuration, if one is even available, for our office network. At our location were we would like to install Untangle we have : 1) one subnet behind a CISCO ASA5505(192.168.10.xxx), 2) a Wireless Access Point 3) a LAN-LAN VPN connection with another site on another subnet via the ASA5505 (192.168.1.xxx), 4) have remote VPN users connecting to our location via the ASA5505. I was considering installing Untangle in Bridge Mode after the CISCO ASA5505 to protect and monitor this location. Will the VPN users and LAN-LAN VPN cause problems?

A diagram would help, but from my understanding you should be fine putting it between the ASA and the main network. Make sure to set the netmask correctly on the untangle (/24) so that all the 192.168.1.xxx packets go to the default gateway (the ASA)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thank you dmorris. Attached is a crude diagram for your confirmation.

Also, could you provide the information on setting the netmask correctly on the untangle bridge for the 192.168.1.xxx traffic? I do have users who map drives between the two locations and I want to make certain I get it correct.

Any special considerations for the remote VPN users?

Thank you,
    Rob
    Last edited by awolrob; 01-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Untangle Ninja

The correct Netmask is 255.255.255.0 if you use a C-network. (192.168.10.1-255)
    No special considerations for the VPN users.

I've easily set up the dedicated PC with two NIC cards and both appear to be connected and active. But I cannot get to the Internet from the UT Bridge PC and I cannot load any aps on UT.

Attached is a diagram of the network settings I have. I would send screen prints from UT if possible.

Should I simply be able to unplug the CISCO inside CAT 5 cable into the External NIC on the UT and then plug the Internal NIC on the UT to the CISCO switch - efffectively routing the internet traffic through the UT Bridge?

Thank you

Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by awolrob View Post
    Should I simply be able to unplug the CISCO inside CAT 5 cable into the External NIC on the UT and then plug the Internal NIC on the UT to the CISCO switch - efffectively routing the internet traffic through the UT Bridge?

Thank you
    If your goal is to run the UT box as a transparent bridge then yes, you plug the inside interface of the ASA5505 into one of the NICs on the UT and the other NIC goes to your internal switch.

Internets>ASA5505>Untangle>Switch
    Chuck Norris lost his virginity before his dad did.

That is what I thought and hoped.

I tried that and it just doesn't work. I'm about to pitch this set up. The UT cannot communicate to the CISCO. The CISCO has a static address of 192.168.10.254 on the internat ports - it is also the same address as the gateway. So I assumed I would set the external connection on the UT to static 192.168.10.254 and the gateway the same. Once I get it all set up the test button cannot connect to the internet. Not sure how to set up the UT so it connects to the CISCO for an external connection. I also tried setting the UT external IP address to 192.168.10.9... no luck connecting to the internet.

The internal connection works and I can ping to it (set as a bridge to the external)

I just cannot get the UT and the CISCO talking so I can get to the internet.

I even tried removing the CISCO and I connected the UT directly to the T1 router and set the UT to the external IP address. Nothing.

I am using a Dell Vostro built in NIC with Linksys NIC. Even when I switch the eth0 and eth1 I still cannot make an external connection.

Try connecting the Untangle external interface to one of your switch ports. The Untangle internal interface connect to a single PC. Make sure you are running the Untangle in a bridge mode. See if you are able to get out on the single PC. Once we get this working, we can work on getting it higher on the food chain.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Great Idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast