Untanglit

Unhappy Lost two NICs; can't find them

I thought I would act like a competent adult and completely configure this box on my bench before installing at customer site. Untangle v6.0.2. Three NICs in a Optiplex GX270 with 1GB ram. I set it up in router mode, configured all my settings, tested everything, and all was good. I did a configuration backup to the hard drive and set the box aside for a week.

Tonight, when I swap it into the customer's network, only the Internal interface shows as connected. When I hit "Click here to configure changes to your interfaces," the other two NICs disappear.

Shutting down and restarting the box does not bring back the missing NICs.

I'm at wits end. How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Frank

What kind of NICS? Also, depending on the size of the network, you may want to consider using better hardware. I once tried to configure a gx270 with 2gb ram to run a 10 user network with 1 server and it didnt work worth a crap. That was back on version 5.2.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untanglit

The NICs that disappeared are 3com 3C905-TX and Intel Pro 100+. The NIC that is currently detected is the onboard Intel Pro 1000 MT.

With respect to hardware adequacy, I've been running one of these GX270 boxes for several months in bridging mode, behind a Cisco 678 in router mode, on this same LAN, with no problems. Does router mode make heavier demands on CPU and memory?

No, but it does get exposed to more abuse on the public segment and that extra load can cause issues.

Double check those 3COM's... make sure they aren't B's

Beyond that... reset to factory and see if they come back. Sometimes the interface files get out of whack.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

First thing I would try is removing the nics and boot up. then shutdown and put the nics in different slots. I assume the on board is the one working. I have a couple of 270 working fine in small offices, less than 10 users.

Don

Untanglit

Hmmmm. The form factor on this GX270 is Small Desktop. Which means the PCI slots are in a riser that plugs into a slot on the mobo. After I reseated the riser, the cards were again detected.

Guess I should have started with the simple stuff.

Frank

It's always the simple stuff...

Glad you got it sorted.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com