Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cacti SNMP CPU Utilization

is anyone here using cacti to monitor the cpu usage of their untangle box?

I've seen a couple posts here on the forums about specific OID numbers to be used for the cpu usage, i.e. this post here: http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...-via-snmp.html

these were posted by Juank in that thread I just linked to:
    Load
    1 minute Load: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.1
    5 minute Load: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.2
    15 minute Load: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.3

these either don't work or I am setting this thing up incorrectly. Regardless of what I do, with creating a custom data template and/or graph template either I get incorrect graph reports or simply a blank graph. I am positive cacti is working properly, as I am able to pull in traffic reports on both my internal and external network interfaces.

However, regardless of the OID I use I am unable to set the CPU graph up properly. If anyone can give me a rundown of how they set it up (i.e. what data templates, graph templates, what they did to set up the custom data/graph template that would work with untangle) specifically with Cacti it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Drewster727; 03-24-2009 at 06:05 PM.

bump

nobody here is using cacti to monitor untangle?

we use cacti to monitor ours
    I'm not sure how they set it up - I'll ping the guy who did it
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Default This is useful

I'd like to know how it's setup as well....

I was able to get the traffic on eth0/eth1 recording on a graph, but I'm trying to get things like memory, cpu usage, ping, etc...

So we just use the built-in ucd/net CPU Utilization template and it works fine.

All of the ucd/net entries work. So try those out.

As you can see, our untangle box works hard. :-) We intentionally get a lot of spam.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 03-25-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

so I'm assuming you have your UT box set as a ucd/net device?

edit: well it appears setting your UT box up in cacti as a cisco router doesnt work (doh!)

setting it up as a ucd/net device and using the ucd/net graphs/data templates works fine as mrunkel suggested.

oh btw mrunkel, you wouldn't happen to know the best way to create a ping graph for cacti would you? they have a unix - ping data template but that was incompatible with UT. Just want a graph to watch latency basically.

Thanks dude.

now if I can just get these to poll a tad bit quicker!
    Last edited by Drewster727; 03-25-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewster727 View Post
    so I'm assuming you have your UT box set as a ucd/net device?
    Well, that setting just determines the default data templates and data sources it sets up, you can add and/or remove any of these from the devices page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewster727 View Post
    oh btw mrunkel, you wouldn't happen to know the best way to create a ping graph for cacti would you? they have a unix - ping data template but that was incompatible with UT. Just want a graph to watch latency basically.
    I use Advanced Ping which seems to work for me.
    http://forums.cacti.net/about10049.h...light=ss_fping
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.

mrunkel, how can the mem usage graph be accurate tho? I believe I'm now using the same data template/graph template you're using for your UT box in cacti. The memory usage graph shows memory free pretty much always right around 70MB (see the average free below). My UT box has a gig total, I've never seen under 300-400MB free on the memory meter above the rack nodes on the UT page. See the image below:

any info on this would be great. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but it just seems inaccurate. Not sure why.

I'm not certain, but I believe the free memory that the Untangle management screen shows doesn't include cache memory. This memory is available to programs upon request, so it's really not "used." Used memory is memory that has been requested and allocated by the kernel to processes. Cache memory is used by the kernel to buffer file I/O. I'll check with the developers tomorrow to verify.

Linux normally fills most of the available memory with cache. Almost all Linux systems will show very low "free" memory in normal operation.

Are you sure the box has 1G? what's the output of vmstat on the box?
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast