Default NS2, anything I need to know b4 I do it?

Using Untangle as the primary DNS server. My book suggests I should have a secondary one too. It's talking about using BIND and of course, Untangle isn't in my book, haha. Just wondering if there is anything special I need to know about before I go and screw everything up?

If I set up a secondary server, is there anything I need to do to Untangle itself?

Whether I need to or not is not the issue, this is something I want to learn how to do along with a few hundred other things.

Oh, yes, what Linux distro is Untangle based on? I may have over-looked this somewhere, could someone point me there?

Yeah don't...

UT uses DNSMasq to provide DNS services.

However, the UT GUI doesn't support full editing of DNS zones. The only thing the UT dns server does is A records. These are for internal client use when you need to redirect traffic based on a name. The server isn't meant to function as an authoritative DNS server.

RFC specification require two DNS servers for name resolution when hosting an internet bound DNS space. You don't need two if all you want is internal name resolution...

What is your goal? Hosting? Or just internet access? If it's the latter UT does this for you...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

thanks Sky-knight. Thankyou UT!

The UT box does a pretty good job, no complaints from here! I already have another service elsewhere that does our hosting for us, we just have to log in and download/upload the mail. So I don't want hosting nor do I want the potential traffic loads that could generate, our connection does not have the bandwidth to host a website.

What I do need is local mail so the users on the internal side of the UT box can share important mails without having to send them to the outside world. I also need to receive the admin messages from the UT box and it would be nice if the UT box would share it's information on what computers are turned on.

Right now the UT is doing DNS by mac addresses so everything on the network always gets the same number and name. So UT is providing internal name resolution, I just don't know how to take that to next level.

Every article and book I have on the subject wants to walk me through setting up a website and hosting service as part of a mail-box for internet... I don't want or need that, but I do need to understand how to do that. Also, since the clients on the internal side of the UT seem to be blissfully unaware of each other I need to set up something like a caching server or other mechanism to get the info from the UT.
    Untangle is a LifeSaver!

Untangler

Depending on your needs just about every linux distro out there has at least 1 mail server in it. You could use fetchmail to get the mail from your hosted server and bring it to your local server. You could also filter it with any number of interesting things to improve on UT's filters. If you need all the bs of outlook you could set up exchange and maybe run fetchmail on UT.

Don

www.mailenable.com

It's a freebie as long as you don't want more advanced features like web mail. It's a windows service.. cake to install.

What you want is to setup this mail server internally, and configure it to do pop3 collection on the mail accounts externally. Then the internal clients get the mail from the mail server, and send back to the mail server. The SMTP connector in the mail server then relays mail back to your ISP.

To be honest, there is little benefit of using this type of configuration. However, I have setup stuff like this for places that needed to archive every mail... it also allows you to lock down mail protocols to only that server which can help keep the bugs out.

Word of warning: If your local mail server downloads the mail, it isn't on the public server anymore to be downloaded. External users will not be able to get their mail anymore.

P.S. if you have laptops? Configure UT's DNS to have a dns lookup that matches your public MX record and feed it the private IP. Then portables on your network and using the UT dns will go straight to the internal, and when they connect elsewhere they will hit the public address.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-20-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Well, I think I found the answer to the first question. The MTA has me build a table of all the IP addresses I want to send and receive from, I had thought this was automatic and needed a 'resolver' or caching dns server. (still would like to learn how)

Does UT have Exim built-in? Would using Exim on the UT as a local domain mail-server cause any trouble with the UT? We don't want localdomain mail even knowing internet mail exists, no mixing. We want userA@localdomain.net to be able to send to userB@localdomain.net without having to send it through the UT box and out to the ISP and back again.

Mailenable is worthless for this application as this place is a LINUX ONLY place, including laptops. Does look like some nice software, kind of interesting what the FUD guys start producing when they get some competition.
    Untangle is a LifeSaver!

Exim is a control panel... UT is by definition the same... putting both on the same linux installation? That sounds like a disaster likely to cause a disruption in the space time continuum...

If you're a linux house just spin up a new linux VM and configure postfix to download the mail and do the same thing.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Near as I can find out, Exim is a mail transfer agent distributed and part of a standard Debian install. Once I discovered that part, I figured it would make sense to use what I already have vs. installing something extra. Anyway, I have it halfway working, just need to fiddle with it some more.

Thanks for helping me.
    Untangle is a LifeSaver!

Oh dang you're right. I was remembering Ensim... sorry man it was late.
    NexgenAppliances.com

sky-knight, I am having an issue with the UT I have never been able to resolve. It doesn't seem to effect UT's operation but it is hanging me for being able to get notices. The UT does not like the local domain name for the sub-network. It seems the UT is hell-bent on making the sub-domain a publicly resolved name. And since I don't have a registered public domain it puts a red-box around the name. I shouldn't need or be having this issue with a private sub-domain. Do you know how to resolve this? It's keeping the UT from sending emails to the sub-domain.

I have the UT as hostname format as==> untangle.my_lan.net and for the domain name the box with the present version won't let me use an _ in the name as in==> my_lan.net. I've been using the underscore in the name for years since w3.1 and the only systems this has ever really been an issue has been later windows networks. Well we don't and won't be having those pesky things anymore, so isn't there a work-around or way to resolve this?
    Untangle is a LifeSaver!