Default Untangle & SBS Homepage

Hi Everyone,

I have had untangle running for a couple of months now without any hassles, all of a sudden, certain users in the network when accessing any webpage , they get directed to the MS Windows SBS Homepage, if I restart untangle everything works again for about 20min and then the SBS homepage shows up again, if I bypass Untangle completely, websites are displayed correctly and i never see the SBS homepage. Nothing has been changed on Untangle, i did try changing dns servers but that didnt help. When the SBS homepage shows up, and i do a tracert to the website, it goes directly out onto the net without my first hop been untangle.
    Any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Untanglit

What version of SBS? 2003? Standard / Premium? Do you have all current updates, Service packs?

If 2003, is it a single NIC in the SBS server?

What's the dns server set to in the SBS NIC properties? (do an ipconfig /all on the server and the clients)

What tracert command are you running? Can you show the results?

What does nslookup on say, google.com give from the server? from the clients?

Do you have any port forwards going on for port 80 or 443? If so, please post them.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Hi

Yes SBS 2003 Std. Yes fully updated. Single NIC.
    Server dns is set to itself, all clients dns points to server IP.
    Normal tracert to website address , i will need to test and send results.

As for port forwards, i have 80 and 443 set to forwarding to my server for external MS exchange OWA.

THanks

Untanglit

I noticed you said "certain users", as in "some users". That sounds like a desktop issue rather than a network issue.

You also mentioned doing a tracert to a web site and Untangle not being one of the hops. Do you have the Untangle XP version running as a "rerouter" ? It's possible that the "rerouting" may have an issue.

Put the portable version of Firefox on a flash drive. Run it on one of the problem desktops while it is having the problem. That at leat would address whether it's an IE proxy or malware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by oasisit View Post
    As for port forwards, i have 80 and 443 set to forwarding to my server for external MS exchange OWA.
    Although it's probably not the cause of your problem, do yourself (and your server) a favor...close port 80, I'm a firm believer in never ever ever exposing port 80 on a Windows domain controller. Use 443 only if you're doing OWA. If you're doing RWW..you'd have to add 4125.

From the outside world, you'll have to type in httpS://blahblah.