Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default No email from untangle server to administrators

No email from untangle server

I have had the untangle box setup for a few weeks so far I am very impressed with it. The only thing that I am having a problem with is the emailing of reports and the exporting of the vpn key. all the email tests pass and say mail sent but i dont get anything. i have tried many accounts. Nothing that I do will get the box to email me anything. I have verified all the settings many times I have set it up both ways using mail directly from server and my pop server info. I had I working for about 3 days when I first set it up I have not made any changes to the configuration that I think would effect it. I have used gmail yahoo smtp still no luck. I have scoured the forums for about 1 week and I cant find anyone that is having this problem. My configuration is.
    Netopia DSL Modem with NAT firewall. And then untangle. I am not using the firewall or the router in the untangle but I am using everything els. the box is a P4 with 1gb ram on a dell blade server MOBO. i dont know the exact specs Please help.
    Last edited by kry5gagnon@gmail.com; 11-20-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo

Look on the last couple pages of this post and see if it helps. Post back if not.

http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=859&page=3

hey kry5gagnon@gmail.com.
    i would login to terminal and check /var/log/exim4/mainlog
    log shows error on what may be causing it not to be sent

you could also do a telnet on 25 to your smtp and see if you can relay by sending a test message

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by richie View Post
    you could also do a telnet on 25 to your smtp and see if you can relay by sending a test message
    will i need to be sitting at the console can i check the /var/log/exim4/mainlog from the public ip some how. i only have lan access and https access to the box at this time.
    How can i get to the /var/log/exim4/mainlog i am not a linux user
    Last edited by kry5gagnon@gmail.com; 11-20-2007 at 07:17 PM.

No, you don't need to be at the console. You can use putty to connect to your untangle box. Your userid is root with your untangle password.

If you have never opened the terminal while at the console and set a password then yes, you will need to be at the console. If you have opened the terminal before while at the console and set a password then you can access it from another PC. You will need to enable "Allow us to securely access your server for support purposes" to enable ssh access. Then you can use Putty to access it. Or, if your not comfortable at the command line then you can use WinSCP and you will get a folder structure.

Untanglit

i tried the WinSCP and i will have to assume that i never logged in to the box in the terminal window and set my password because when i try to login it asks for the keyboard interaction account password. i used the account that i have set as administrator. so i typed root and then my password to start the session. Thanks for all the suggestions so far i hope we can resolve this.

Untangler

Hopefully you hadn't already figured out how to do this... but if you still need to know how to get to the log files type the commands below after you log in to the terminal/console:

Code:
    cd /var/log/exim4
    this will change it to the directory, similar to a cmd window on windows
    Code:
    ls -l
    this will list the contents of the directory in a long listing and most likely you'll end up with a listing like the following:
    Code:
    total 76
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm 13520 Nov 21 08:17 mainlog
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm 20580 Nov 21 01:47 mainlog.1
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2172 Nov 13 01:51 mainlog.10.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2162 Nov 21 01:51 mainlog.2.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2254 Nov 20 01:51 mainlog.3.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2144 Nov 19 01:51 mainlog.4.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2165 Nov 18 01:51 mainlog.5.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2295 Nov 17 01:51 mainlog.6.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2151 Nov 16 01:51 mainlog.7.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2289 Nov 15 01:51 mainlog.8.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2196 Nov 14 01:51 mainlog.9.gz
    now from here you can look at the last 10 days worth of logs (the logs that end in gz are compressed, so it's a bit bigger pain to look at them, but you should be able to get the data you need from mainlog and mainlog.1)

Code:
    less mainlog
    This will write the contents of mainlog to the console/terminal window. The "less" command also allows you to move up and down through the document (using page up/down to swiftly move, or the up/down arrows to move line by line) to search for the errors that you need. [replace mainlog with mainlog.1 to few yesterday's log] when you are done with looking press "q" to drop back to the command line.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by guvnuh4 View Post
    Hopefully you hadn't already figured out how to do this... but if you still need to know how to get to the log files type the commands below after you log in to the terminal/console:

Code:
    cd /var/log/exim4
    this will change it to the directory, similar to a cmd window on windows
    Code:
    ls -l
    this will list the contents of the directory in a long listing and most likely you'll end up with a listing like the following:
    Code:
    total 76
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm 13520 Nov 21 08:17 mainlog
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm 20580 Nov 21 01:47 mainlog.1
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2172 Nov 13 01:51 mainlog.10.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2162 Nov 21 01:51 mainlog.2.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2254 Nov 20 01:51 mainlog.3.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2144 Nov 19 01:51 mainlog.4.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2165 Nov 18 01:51 mainlog.5.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2295 Nov 17 01:51 mainlog.6.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2151 Nov 16 01:51 mainlog.7.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2289 Nov 15 01:51 mainlog.8.gz
    -rw-r-----  1 Debian-exim adm  2196 Nov 14 01:51 mainlog.9.gz
    now from here you can look at the last 10 days worth of logs (the logs that end in gz are compressed, so it's a bit bigger pain to look at them, but you should be able to get the data you need from mainlog and mainlog.1)

Code:
    less mainlog
    This will write the contents of mainlog to the console/terminal window. The "less" command also allows you to move up and down through the document (using page up/down to swiftly move, or the up/down arrows to move line by line) to search for the errors that you need. [replace mainlog with mainlog.1 to few yesterday's log] when you are done with looking press "q" to drop back to the command line.
    thanks for the great detailed instruction i am still having a problem getting into the untangle using ssh it will not accept my password. i did not remember setting one in the terminal when i first installed it and i drove to the site today and tried to use the terminal and the first thing that come up is the password. i tried to use all the passwords that i normally use and none work. can untangle get into the box and reset it for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast