Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Untangle, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Windows Small Business Server

Hello,

I am sucessfully running Windows Small Business Server with BlackBerry Enterpise Server, Exchange Server, Exchange on iPhone and IMAP on iPhone, and Outlook Web Access and Outlook 2003 client that is all nicely and securely tucked behing an Untangle in Router mode.

If anyone is interested, keyword being anyONE, let me know and I'll follow up this post with set up instructions, UT confiugration, and screenshots.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolus View Post
    Hello,

I am sucessfully running Windows Small Business Server with BlackBerry Enterpise Server, Exchange Server, Exchange on iPhone and IMAP on iPhone, and Outlook Web Access and Outlook 2003 client that is all nicely and securely tucked behing an Untangle in Router mode.

If anyone is interested, keyword being anyONE, let me know and I'll follow up this post with set up instructions, UT confiugration, and screenshots.

Thank you. Thank you very much.
    Why not put it on Tip of the Day! or as Sticky perhaps?

Untanglit

I'd be very interested.

Thanks!

same here!!!

Untanglit

I can't see a sticky for a non-topic. My SBS 2008 installations are running just fine with nothing beyond the usual port forwards and the SMTP settings for Untangle reporting/Quarantine reporting. If you don't know which ports to forward for the SBS, that's a lack of SBS training, not an Untangle issue.

The Iphone natively supports Exchange, all you need to do is enter the public URL for your server and it works. Similarly to Outlook via HTTP proxy. Doing IMAP on the Iphone means no push email.

Now, I don't use many of the extra Untangle features because they either are undesired (VPN being considered a security risk), duplicate Remote Web Workplace functionality (Remote Access Portal/PC Remote) or just weren't interesting enough to justify the extra monthly fees (AD Connectory, Policy Editor, more finely controlled web filtering, more detailed reporting.)

I'd love to try the multi-WAN, but the pricing is rediculous. So, I can say, for MY installations, excluding the above stuff, the only "special" configuration changes have been for non-SBS stuff, like our PBX.

Can you send me the info to get this going as mentioned in your post? I'm running Exchange 2007 SP1 have a BES setup on another server and have some employees with iPhones. Use Outlook Anywhere and OWA. Have a UCC GoDaddy ssl certificate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Untanglit

Default I would also be interested.

As I'm having some issues...

Untangler

Default Coming soon

Hi everyone,

I apologize for not following up on this post. I was sick with a bad cold.

I will be posting everything tonight with screenshots as well.

Untangler

Default Step-by-step Untangle, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Windows Small Business Server

Hello and thank you for your interest.

Frankly, I have found the combination of Untangle & the Small Business Server platform to be the ultimate value proposition (your foot in the door) for anyone who is trying to capture the SMB (Small to Medium Business) sectors.

The setup is as such... (I will be giving an aerial view and if you need granularity, please ask)

1 - The first thing is to setup Untangle in router mode, and to change its administration port to 448.

2 - Proceed through the canned installation of SBS. The only exception is that you will need ONLY ONE NIC CARD installed in the SBS server - we will not be using the firewall features of SBS and hence only need the one NIC AND we will NOT use the SBS as the DNS. So do not choose to have the SBS act as the DNS during your installation.

When SBS is installed and you are at the Internet Configuration Wizard, please consider naming the server ex.yourdomainnamehere.com, and the email domain name as just YourDomainNameHere.com. I will explain in a bit why I've chosen the "ex" prefix.

3 - In the port forward section of Untangle, please setup the forwarding rules in this order; See pic titled "forwards.jpg". In this example I have assigned my SBS server's address as 10.0.14.101.

4 - Each rule should only have the listed actions below.
    Protocol
    Destined Local
    Destination port
    SBS local IP

Rules number 1 for Exchange - See attachment titles exchange forward
    Protocol - TCP
    Destined Local
    Destination Port - 443
    SBS address 10.0.14.101 - or what your server's address is.

5 - the iphone and blackberry rules are the same as above except the Destination Ports are (in order) 443 (first rule), 25 (second Rule), 993 (third and so on), 143, 587, and for the last rule the port is 80 for the web server (if you are hosting a website on your SBS - which I don't recommend. Pay six bucks a month and have someone host your website and let them deal with the hack and DDOS attemtps.

6 - Name your UT hostname edge.YourDomainNameHere.com.

7 - Fill in the DNS info of your network in UT >Config >Networking >DNS Server and see image title UT DNS. Most of the time people complain in the forums that they cannot use the hostname to find their computer when they are using OpenVPN even though they have selected to "export DNS". What they do not realize is that there is no DNS to export if you have not filled out this section.

We're done with the setup and, just for giggles, reboot your UT.
    Now, my Registrar is 1and1... A great company due to its pricing and features. One of these features is URL forwarding. There I set up the following forward so that the customer can easily remember how to access their features. I set up DNS of ex.YourDomainNameHere.com to my external IP address.

Then I URL forward the phrase Webmail.YourDomainNameHere.com to hxxps://ex.YourDomainNameHere.com/exchange, and another one for My.YourDomainNameHere.com to https://edge.YourDomainNameHere.com:448

This way, when the customer wants Outlook Web Access, they merely type in Webmail.YourDomainNameHere.com and will automatically be translated into the correct address, format, and syntax.

8 - Now that we have the rules and things setup, let's setup BlackBerry services.

There is an easy way and a hard way. If your users ONLY want to get their emails on their BB, you can set up BB to use OWA. In this case from within the BB your setup will be the exchange servers address (and this must include the hxxps) so hxxps://ex.YourDomainNameHere.com. The username will be the name the user logs into their PC with, and the mailbox will be their mail alias which is the part before the @. I log into my work pc with my First name SPACE Last name, but my email address is FirstinitialLastname@mycompany'sdoman.com. FirstinitialLastname will be my alias or mailbox name. This is all you need for your user to get emails on their BB. But if they want live sync of their emails, calendars, and contacts, than you will need the BlackBerry Enterprise Server software loaded on your SBS.

You can download a free copy of BES (a $2,999.00 value) with One user license (additional license are $99.00) at hxxp://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/offers/professional_express.jsp

This is the most benevolent thing blackberry can do for us IT guys. This is another great tool that you can bring to your customer and make some money on it too.

Here is the link on a video on how to setup BES on the SBS.
    hxxp://www.blackberry.com/select/toolkit/02.shtml

Be VERY AWARE.... You MUST follow this step by step and log into the SBS as the BESAdmin and NOT yourself as the administrator of the SBS.

9 - Setting up iPhone.
    Again, there is an easy way and a mildly difficult way. The thing to note here is this... The first version of iPhone, although it had an Exchange option under its email setup section, it actually did NOT have the Exchange ActiveSync component. This was truly false advertizing. Second, one this feature was enabled in v2 of the iPhone, the phone only has one address book. So if you set up Exchange on the iPhone you will immediately wipe out all of the poor sap's contacts and phone numbers. Be aware of this.

IMAP option -

On the SBS, please go to run and type services.msc. Here, enable the Microsoft Exchange IMAP service and set it to automatic. Next go to START, ALL PROGRAMS, MICROSOFT EXCHANGE, SYSTEM MANAGER, right click on your root exchange server. This is the first thing that appears at the top of your tree. Choose PROPERTIES. There check "display administrative groups" and OK. Next, cascade down to ADMINISTRATIVE GROUPS, FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP, SERVERS, Your Server, PROTOCOLS, IMAP4, DEFAULT VIRTUAL SERVER, right click, properties, access, certificate, next. At this point, if you have purchased a public certificate, follow the appropriate steps to import it in. If you will use the self-signed certificate that SBS made for you, which is totally fine, choose the option that reads, "Assign an existing certificate." There you should see a cert that reads ex.YourDomanNameHere.com. Click next through everything and when done, right click on the default virtual server and choose Stop (wait a good ten seconds) and then Start. You will need to repeat this step for the SMTP as well.

Now you are ready to use the IMAP feature on the iPhone which will NOT wipe the user's contacts.

Untangler

Default Untangle, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Windows Small Business Server - Part duo

On the iPhone email settings choose IMAP.

Your incoming & outgoing server is ex.YourCompanyDomainHere.com (Not http)

Your username is domain/username/alias

Domain is what you have named your workgroup or domain as. Not the domain as in www.YourCompanyDomainHere.com. Again to clarify, let's say I work for MercedesBenz and my url is dubdubdub.MercedezBenz.com but within our Windows workgroup I've set us up as mbz.local. The domain here will simply be mbz

Username is what the user logs into their pc as. Again, in my case it is my Firstname SPACE Lastname. Here is a keynote (and maybe someone knows imap nomenclature better and can make this work) I have not set this up successfully when the user's username is Jon T. Smith. Somehow imap doesn't like the period in there. So I've had to change this user's name on in Active Directory to Jon Smith.

And alias in this case would be JSmith.

Do note that the fields are seperated by a forward slash / and not a black slash \

So example of what to put in the username is mbz/jon smith/jsmith

Now save this. You may get an error saying it cannot connect or whatever. Don't worry about this for now. Go back into the settings of this account and go to advnaced and make sure use SSL is turned on. No other changes are needed. Go back to email, chose your account, hit the inbox and it should try to connect. It will say, there is a problem with the certificate (if you used the SBS self-signed certificate option above. Say ok or continue.

And in a few seconds you should see the entire folder tree of that user.

10 - Setting Exchange ActiveSync on iphone.

This option is easy and the only diff here is that the username is the user name the guy logs into the computer with. In our example Jon Smith.

BUT PLEASE<<<<<< Keep in mind that as soon as you set this up you wipe the entire address book on that iPhone.

That's it.

Thanks for your time. And I apologize for any typos. If you have any questions, please ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast