Default OpenVPN - Re-Router

I'm looking into adding the OpenVPN...but it appears that it too is not designed for the Re-Router as yet. Am I correct in this ?

Thanks in advance !!

i've heard some people have gotten it to work, but I think its a bit crazy

I'd definitely go dedicated if you want to run a VPN (and install it as a gateway not a bridge)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I seem to be leaning to a dedicated box...wanting OpenVPN and Ad Blocker added to my system.

I'll probably do that over the weekend...thanks again dmorris !!

Yeah OpenVPN on router mode is SO much more direct than OpenVPN on a bridge. OpenVPN within the context of rerouter is almost identical to a bridge deployment... but to be fair it is a task that I think takes a bit more network tomfoolery than it should.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

What is the issue with using Openvpn in bridge mode?
    I've only had one minor issue with that setup behind a gateway, in that I can't access the gateway through the vpn.

There are several issues, first is the native routing issue that is causing your gateway problem. That is fixed with an appropriate static route...

But the larger issue is that Untangle really wants to be an "edge" device. If "internal" traffic is ever shown on the internet side of a wan adapter you have to get creative with bypasses to get the traffic to flow properly.

All this can be done, but it is a world of extra work that can be side stepped with a network design that includes Untangle from the beginning.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That is fixed with an appropriate static route...
    Shoot, I was going to look into that for this office but I forgot, everything behind ut in both subs is reachable but not the gateway. I'll have to fix that so I can say I did.

I have a trust issue with ut being the failpoint, in two installations, there's no choice but for bridge since they are behind evdo gateways, but.....

I'd really like to upgrade these units from 6.01 to 6.2 just cause but it's such a time consuming pia.....

One day soon I will drop one in at home as a router and change my Tomato install over to an ap, then we'll see, though if my wife can't vpn into her office through their sonicwall........doh!
    Last edited by fasttech; 06-09-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There are several issues, first is the native routing issue that is causing your gateway problem. That is fixed with an appropriate static route...

But the larger issue is that Untangle really wants to be an "edge" device. If "internal" traffic is ever shown on the internet side of a wan adapter you have to get creative with bypasses to get the traffic to flow properly.

All this can be done, but it is a world of extra work that can be side stepped with a network design that includes Untangle from the beginning.

After reading this...it's DEFINITELY off to a stand-alone install I go....

Thanks again SKY !!!

HEY...I made Untanglit !!