Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Untangler

That is a bummer. I had hoped to use this at home
    theoak, tangofan and LaurentR like this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    If you include the Debian repos to install stuff, you MUST REMOVE THEM afterward. If you left them in place over night, the automatic upgrade process will install updated packages for many things and you wind up with a frankenuntangle... you don't want a frakenuntangle!

Also, without the repos upgrades that mean an OS update will likely break, so you're in unsupported land. Beware!
    frakenuntangle ... my favorite word for the day.
    smiller likes this.
    Untangle 16.2.0 (Build: 16.2.0.20201222) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_B View Post
    That is a bummer. I had hoped to use this at home
    Especially since this is in the Linux kernel. It's not a commercial database that costs real money to subscribe to like some of the other apps.
    theoak likes this.

Untangle Ninja

The best way to install qemu-guest-agent is to use wget to download it. Then install with dpkg -i. For other packages you may need to solve dependencies on your own. And they wont update automatically update either.

As always with command line changes, Turn off upgrades as it will not upgrade successfully.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    Especially since this is in the Linux kernel. It's not a commercial database that costs real money to subscribe to like some of the other apps.
    It isn't my intention to get to gruff with any individual, so my apologies in advance. I have made several posts over the past month or so describing how Untangle is not a community software development project. But, I also want to share my perspective on the 'real money' costs involved.

I am not going to begrudge any marketing decisions a commercial entity makes. They have employees to compensate, and investors to make a return for. That is what fuels the free-market capitalism engine.

In order for them to continue as an enterprise they need to be successful. Specifically, I want good employees to be there to continue to develop security updates.

I would venture to guess that a large percentage of the software packages baked into NGFW (as ingredients) are of the 'free software' variety. Anyone is free to cobble together their own combination of parts and pieces.

The value-add proposition of Untangle is in the GUI, the expertise in configuring the various components, tying the configurations together as a coordinated whole, and evaluating the security aspects of the entire package. This is clearly not a once-and-done project that we see far too often in the programming profession.

If Untangle finds a marketing angle that puts an incremental increase to their bottom line, I intend to support that effort when the opportunity arises. It isn't something I need at home. Just like I don't have the budget to install new Cisco enterprise gear for use at home.

I know I don't have time for and have zero interest in supporting a frankentangle anywhere, to borrow a phrase.
    [/soapbox]

Thanks, Untangle.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

I wholeheartedly agree. If the business folks decide this is the point where they need to hold the line to make money, well... that line has to go somewhere.

I just don't see how this helps anyone.

It's not available for sale to home users as a stand-alone app nor part of any subscription they can buy; there's no revenue grab here. On the other side of the balance sheet, it's based on open source. They have to do the work to integrate into their GUI, but once this work is done it (theoretically) doesn't cost more to include it with the HomePro.

So it just seems... odd that it's not available.

There's still lots of potential reasons. For example, concern about support costs, or perhaps the backend licensing agreement for the web filter or antivirus features prevent them from including this VPN in the same package. But it still seems odd.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 08-12-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

To be honest I was annoyed when IPSec wasn't free, and I'm annoyed this isn't free too. We need ALL of these VPN protocols in the platform to proliferate the platform.

I realize support for these modules is a pain, and it's expensive... so fine. No more free support for them at all, sell incident tickets on the website for those that need them. That way VARs can be VARs, hopefully we can turn the tide back against the other players like Sophos who are... let's be honest KICKING OUR ARSES while they basically give it all away to get installs, but Untangle can also make money selling support to those that need it.

But that doesn't fit neatly into the "simplified" pricing model... So I understand it, I do... heck I even agree with most of it logically. But emotionally, it's a train wreck that ruins sales. And I'm still sitting here staring at the abomination that is the SDWan pricing wondering how that even made it out of the lab... I'll never sell one of those units... Too many less expensive options from other vendors that don't do stupid things like force me into half the WAN speed than I have. But it exists because NG Firewall was "too expensive", yet when I run the numbers... it's actually considerably cheaper for just about all of my applications.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-12-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    Bollar, MNTech68 and junglechuck like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    They have to do the work to integrate into their GUI, but once this work is done it (theoretically) doesn't cost more to include it with the HomePro.

So it just seems... odd that it's not available.
    I agree. I understand that there are costs that have to be recouped, and profit to be made. Its just that the complete package is out of reach for most home users. It sure was nice when the Home package included everything. I suspected that this would start happening when Untangle was acquired.
    Jim.Alles and tangofan like this.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    The best way to install qemu-guest-agent is to use wget to download it. Then install with dpkg -i. For other packages you may need to solve dependencies on your own. And they wont update automatically update either.
    Having said a lot already, if someone wants to implement this, there is no reason why you can't spin up a Linux instance behind Untangle.

What I have done is put Linux Mint for Debian (LMDE) on a desktop that Windows 10 objected to running on. This gives me Debian to stay in the groove of NGFW, a nice desktop UI, and I intend to put my UniFi Network Controller on it. I can also run Wireshark and maybe a SNMP monitor.

Right now the package manager can't get the repositories to resolve in DNS. something to troubleshoot someday.
    But that is my idea.

It will be a good place for an internal Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, and I can try out wireguard, as well.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast