Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Thank you for the feedback regarding the upcoming WireGuard app and our Complete package. With some strong opinions around this, can I guide you to feedback.untangle.com? Wed like to capture and track feedback, which is going to get lost here in the beta forum.

We had a similar ask around the Threat Prevention app tracked on feedback.untangle.com with many votes and comments. We use feedback from our users every day when making decisions about our products.

Meanwhile, please continue to post feedback about bugs, issues or improvements to the 16.0 beta here. This helps our development process go faster, and we deliver better quality products thanks to our community involvement and your testing feedback.
    Marty_B likes this.
    Heather P
    Untangle Product Team

Untangler

Thanks Heather for taking the time to post here.

Without pretending to speak for my fellow Untangle HomePro users, I think that what you are seeing is a lack of understanding of Untangle's plan for the HomePro subscription in general.

In particular, it is hard to gauge where UT sits on the spectrum between letting the HomePro product slowly phase out from lack of competitive features vs free alternatives (pfSense, OPNsense, Sophos XG free tier) to keeping it very much alive either as a lead creation opportunity, source of free advertising or the use of a community of advanced users to help test/improve the product.

I think the lack of inclusion of a feature like Wireguard, which is already deployed in other solutions, mostly leverages the kernel implementation and has no per-license incremental cost to UT may indicate that UT is slowly trying to phase out the HomePro subscription.

I think that if the community had a clear understanding of your strategy wrt to the HomePro product, it would make these (very recurrent) discussions mostly disappear and would provide a level of clarity useful to everyone.
    soldier and mikeyscott like this.

The IPSec module suffers from the same problems honestly. Originally that module was sold to use to be not free due to the support costs associated with it. I can see Wireguard as being both better, and worse in that regard. Which brings us back to simply selling support incidents instead of licensing the module.

But that's a curve ball in the licensing... that's hostile to Untangle's "keep it simple" directive. I have no way to reconcile that, but it's clear something needs to change.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks, will do.
    Since I am not in the IT business, I don't try to understand the reasons why these decisions are made. I am simply a consumer/enthusiast. I may not be the prime target demographic for this product and Untangle may lose money selling to folks like me. My influence with other IT issues is limited to other industrial automation engineers and home automation folks. I prefer untangle to anything else out there. I guess I am just disappointed in the recent turn of events with the threat prevention and now Wireguard.
    Last edited by Marty_B; 08-13-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    soldier and hpaunet like this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    In particular, it is hard to gauge where UT sits on the spectrum between letting the HomePro product slowly phase out from lack of competitive features vs free alternatives (pfSense, OPNsense, Sophos XG free tier) to keeping it very much alive either as a lead creation opportunity, source of free advertising or the use of a community of advanced users to help test/improve the product.
    You hit that nail on the head. In a year or two (at the most) there won't be any reason for a home user to use Untangle at all (versus the other options out there). That will limit exposure to the product, and hurt them in secondary/associated sales.

If that is their plan - so be it. They should just be forthright enough to say they are killing the Home Pro off through attrition and be done with it.

Anyway, my subscription still has time left on it. I'll keep using it for now, as I like Untangle. I like it a lot actually, so don't misinterpret what I'm saying - I just don't think it will stay competitive if all new modules/features are unavailable to home users.
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 08-13-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    Marty_B, tangofan, soldier and 1 others like this.

Threat Prevention not being in the home license was something I could understand. There is a cost involved for untangle and adding it to the home license made the home license not profitable anymore. Very clear and something anyone should/could understand.

Wireguard however is FOSS. As such there is no extra cost involved for the home license and no support is given to the home license either. So someone please correct me if I am wrong. but it kinda feels that it is not included in the home license for the sole reason of trying to make you spend (a lot) more money.
    That is sad to me, as one of the reasons I choose untangle was because it felt like such a down to earth and relatable company that actually cares about their users.

As it is not officially live yet, a lot can still change of course. So I will wait patiently.
    But as JasonJoel said already, they should make their intentions clear as this is sending mixed signals.

Untangler

Thanks everyone for your input on your view of the Home Pro product. We are taking feedback and comments into consideration. Thank you very much Marty for giving us the opportunity to track this discussion outside of this beta feedback thread, which will help us keep track of it.

Please take all further comments on Home Pro desires and wishes here:
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...for-home-users

You can also vote and comment specifically on Threat Prevention being added as a potential add on option to Home Users here:
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...-to-home-users
    Heather P
    Untangle Product Team

Untanglit

thanks hpaunet, i upvoted and commented on the feedback area, i was quite disappointed seeing the announcement not allowing HomePro access as I was hyped from jcoffins comments on Wireguard utilizing 90% of 1Gbps.

Mozilla VPN(Mullvad) supports Wireguard as the primary protocol, only makes sense home users could make use of Untangle Wireguard.
    hpaunet likes this.

Master Untangler

For what it's worth, I went and tried Sophos XG the past few days... Some good, but plenty of not so good.

Based on that I renewed my Home Pro license for another 5 years. Don't let us down.
    hpaunet, flynhawaiian and theoak like this.

Untangler

I'm just hopeful homepro continues.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast