Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Untangler

I discovered Untangle just over a year ago, and in light of so many more security threats on the internet nowadays, for $50/year the Home license is a game-changer to be able to put an Untangle UTM in a residence where, well let's face it, more and more people are BYOD everywhere. While a bit expensive ($250-500+ for the device, plus the license) for grandma, it keeps her from accessing phishing sites, and webfilter keeps all of us from hitting a bad site. A number of comercial VPN's just announced they have WireGuard available, so I know the 5 residences I installed HomePro UTFW into will be asking me about configuring their stuff to WireGuard. If WireGuard isn't available- could it be $50/year(?) - asking someone to pay to protect 50 devices for the Complete license (my average IOT + devices house install) is a bit steep. The previous comments about HomePro being phased out in the future really makes me nervous as I think home users would pay a bit more- $100ish/year if the HomePro license included more. Threat Prevention isn't really great an install that doesn't have designated IT because it will shut down traffic even more than SSL inspector does. With the growing security threats on the internet, and especially as so many people will continue to work from home for the near future, Untangle has the perfect product for folks who are willing to invest a little bit for some great security. Let's hope that Untangle sees it that way too.
    Last edited by junglechuck; 09-06-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    You hit that nail on the head. In a year or two (at the most) there won't be any reason for a home user to use Untangle at all (versus the other options out there). That will limit exposure to the product, and hurt them in secondary/associated sales.

If that is their plan - so be it. They should just be forthright enough to say they are killing the Home Pro off through attrition and be done with it.

Anyway, my subscription still has time left on it. I'll keep using it for now, as I like Untangle. I like it a lot actually, so don't misinterpret what I'm saying - I just don't think it will stay competitive if all new modules/features are unavailable to home users.
    I won't be using or renewing Untangle these days. My UT install sits on a disk that's no longer in use.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    I won't be using or renewing Untangle these days. My UT install sits on a disk that's no longer in use.
    Can I ask what you use it it's place? I am genuinely curious, as I have not found anything that comes close to untangles capabilities for a reasonable price for home users.

Untangler

Support for untangle is great and the community is helpful. Never had problems with them, and think they actually care about the consumer. They offer a home version, and don't really have to. I think Sophos is the closest and they provide a version that is throttled for home users. PFsense is great if you know what you are doing, but there are a lot of security holes in it. Good luck on your future decision.
    mikeyscott likes this.

Master Untangler

My 5 Year Home subscription ends next summer. I can't see why I would not renew for another 5. Another 5 will get my youngest out of high school. From there, I will evaluate where the UTM platform is.
    junglechuck likes this.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untangler

This is a different topic but wanted to keep it under this topic name because my issue is with the Version 16.0 beta.
    I have a qotom pc with 4 ethernet ports that is running Untangle. I have a rule in the policy manager that routes all traffic from/to port 3 through a policy for my kids and guests. This port is connected to a separate Wifi access point with a different SSID and ip range than the rest of my network. All traffic on the other internal ports uses the default policy. This was working well before I updated to the 16.0 beta. Now the default policy seems to being applied to all traffic regardless of internal port. Any ideas?

We don't have enough info to diagnose that, but any wifi router/AP worth using can handle both sets of traffic in the same device: 2 SSIDs, each mapped to a different IP range, appears as two separate (routed) networks and virtual interfaces in Untangle via VLANs.

You give up some things in things in terms of total spectrum use (assuming you forced your old routers/APs on different channels), but not as much as you think (radios will interfere with each other even on widely different channels if they are too close to within a few inches), and you make up for it by running a long wire to another part of the house to connect the router/AP you just freed up and configuring it the exact same way as the one that remained. Now you can seamlessly roam between the two devices, and coverage will be more even to the further ends of your home.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 09-09-2020 at 06:37 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Thanks for the Wifi info but the problem has nothing to do with Wifi. The problem that I am having is the policy that port 3 is using. As I said, this all worked perfectly using Untangle 15.1 and does not in version 16. Tonight I will revert back to 15.1 and see if that corrects the problem. I just wanted to bring this to light in case this was a bug in 16.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know enough about Quotom to think that this is the issue, but could it be that the device names (e.g.: eth0, eth1,...ethN) got swapped around?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    I don't know enough about Quotom to think that this is the issue, but could it be that the device names (e.g.: eth0, eth1,...ethN) got swapped around?
    I thought of that. The IP addresses being assigned on this port are of the correct range. Also I noticed that no sessions are using the Kids policy even though they should be. I plan on reverting back to 15.1 to see what happens.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast