Default v15.0 to v15.1 upgrade stuck

I was at a remote site so I took the opportunity to get the upgrade done.
    After downloading all 968 packages or so, I got the 'preparing to upgrade' pop up. and that was on the screen too long for my liking. So I refreshed the screen and went to About, and saw that I was still at v15.0

I had two administrative alerts
    1. Upgrades are available
    2. Upgrade process was interrupted.

I wen to Upgrades and clicked [upgrade now]

Now we started downloading 1 of 50 packages. As soon as that completed, it went to 'preparing to upgrade' and then almost immediately to 'upgrade in progress' - as it should

And that seems to have completed OK. The upgrade installed on an i386 machine after a very long time. Be patient.

When the detail log stopped scrolling with 'upgrade.py' finished, I had to manually refresh the browser.

Just leaving this here as a possible path for someone.
    tangofan and csherman like this.
    If you think I got Grumpy

I do recall having some issues with connectivity at the same time, but it was not urgent.

I navigated this snag without attempting to contact Untangle Support.

What I observed seems to be related to this issue: https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-13205

Jim makes a good point. Sometimes the upgrade takes a while, but we have seen some upgrades get "stuck." If you are comfortable navigating cli, you can check on the status of the upgrade. Otherwise feel free to reach out to the support team and we can take a look!

Since you mention the Command Line Interface (CLI), I'll keep talking.

This kind of situation is why I waited until I could travel and get my hands on the keyboard and mouse of the console.
    It is the reason I don't allow automatic upgrades on NGFW. It is not because of Untangle being skittish, it is because I am running ancient hardware at this distant site.

This was so painfully slow on this i386 machine, and the Apache server wasn't back on-line, that I went to the CLI to look at the top command. This is how I could tell that there was still a heartbeat, and various components of NGFW would bubble up.

So my advice again is for older, custom hardware:
    • Make sure you have a backup
    • Put checks in the boxes to enable remote support and Command Center
    • Get a backup into Command Center
    • Then push the Upgrade now button
    • And be patient.