Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default iOS 14 Per-Network MAC Addresses

Hi

Ios14 beta and most probably release are/will do the following: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651151

This will collide with the devices count and licenses if every time the iphone/ipad changes the MAC address and are counted as a new device.
    Not talking about all the rules associated to mac addresses......

Any input appreciated.

Master Untangler

Looks like one will be able to turn this off per network. But the default will cause a lot of issues, licensing, dhcp....

Untangle Ninja

“Users are always in control - users can control enablement of the feature at any time for each network.”

“Networks that use MAC-based access inherently track devices. Privacy on tracking networks…”

Cellular networks might be identified as “tracking networks,” but this sort of blanket statement from Apple staff is privacy politics if they actually mean to say all networks that manage devices by MAC addresses are tracking networks.

You’re right. This is going to cause problems on unmanaged iOS devices, unhelpfully complicating BYOD and employer network sharing programs.

Not something new though. Android already had this for a while.
    Though I guess in the corporate world Apple still is king.

Untangle Ninja

IIRC, it's not strictly new at Apple, either. But currently Apple's implementation is limited to cellular networks, again IIRC.

If I'm reading the clouded docs from Apple correctly, the MAC address will be sticky per network. So licensing will not be an issue since the MAC address will be the same on a specific network every time.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Seeing myself now frequently having to go over the devices section and deleting unwanted entries to avoid hitting the licenses.... This is more than a nuisance and I guess Untangle should implement something to take this into account. iOS devices are the most used here.....

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    If I'm reading the clouded docs from Apple correctly, the MAC address will be sticky per network. So licensing will not be an issue since the MAC address will be the same on a specific network every time.
    NO, it will change daily. Running beta ios14 on another hw and we're getting this. Same iphone changing mac addresses each day at least!

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    If I'm understanding the video (it's all worthwhile, but the relevant portion begins just after the 20 minute mark) correctly, the user's decision is sticky per network, but if MAC address randomization is enabled, the address is not sticky in at least a couple ways.

EDIT: I think I'm wrong about the scope of the user's decision. I think the user makes a global decision, not a per-network decision. But maybe I'm wrong about being wrong.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 08-25-2020 at 07:34 AM.

Master Untangler

"Addresses are updated for all networks daily by the device, NO server is involved in address generation."
    "A new MAC will be used whenever a new address has been generated and the device re-joins the network"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast