Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Via Command Center I did a remote reboot. Did not fix the issue.
    Last edited by theoak; 08-26-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    Untangle 16.3.0 (Build: 16.3.0.20210507) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

There was a date release today... perhaps that's mucking with upgrades somehow?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Just did a "fresh" install to another appliance with nothing else installed. Went through the upgrade process and the same thing happened. I am able to pass traffic (basic NAT configuration) however, the web interface responds with "Internal Server Error".

I suspect the upgrade now instead of the hardware. Maybe someone else will prove us wrong.

-MW

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There was a date release today... perhaps that's mucking with upgrades somehow?
    Yes, it was after the update, I could not log back into the Admin GUI.
    Untangle 16.3.0 (Build: 16.3.0.20210507) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untangler

Ok, reloaded another appliance and restored from previous configuration. All in all I am very impressed that the process was as easy as it was. Additionally, even without the ability to manage the device it kept passing traffic.

Lets see what they come with on why our upgrades didn't go as planned.

I don't know that it would have made a difference but lesson learned. I will now enable remote access prior to all upgrades going forward.

-MW
    theoak likes this.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    Lets see what they come with on why our upgrades didn't go as planned.
    A new kernel and a borked web server. Coincidence? I realize your server is headless, but it would be interesting to know if booting the previous kernel made the web server happy again.

I'm still running 15.0. Things like "Better handling of upgrade interruptions" in the change log and and a scattering of reports of failed updates here have made this old man nervous.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 08-26-2020 at 05:15 PM.

The upgrade to v15.1 is a new kernel and always has risks attached. Anyone pushing that button needs to know that.

Now, v15.1 can restore a v15.0 backup! So, if you're on v15.0, back up your stuff, have installation media for v15.1 in your hands, and do the update while you're on site. It took about 30min for my systems to update, and if they go south... reinstall, restore, and move on.

But yes, hardware in special cases will have issues with kernel updates. And furthermore, HEADLESS OPERATION IS NOT SUPPORTED!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The upgrade to v15.1 is a new kernel and always has risks attached.
    Of course.

I believe I misread the change log. Read the following for the most recent update too quickly: "New LCD driver for 15.1.0 (kernel 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)." That's the kernel "upgrade" I was talking about, not the original 15.1 upgrade. On better concentration this is not a kernel upgrade at all, but a driver addition only.

Quote Originally Posted by mfwade View Post
    So I did what any experienced IT professional would do and clicked it...
    ...In others experience, how long does an upgrade take?
    As I would have, except that I was headed out the door.

Thank you for the report. It saved a lot of people a lot of grief.

To answer the question of how long it takes, that depends.
    On very old software and a major upgrade to include a new kernel that might need a thousand packages, I have had boxes take hours. I keep an eye on the pulse with the console KVM and the top command. If you hit [Esc] from the browser, you can keep an eye on some other things.

for a 'date release' with well under a hundred packages on modern hardware like this, it should go quite quickly.

I agree with your observation that the upgrade UI leaves alot to be desired.
    Here is a suggestion along those lines, that can be up-voted. I intend to post another one myself, that specifically deals with the issue you mention. https://untanglengfirewall.featureupvote.com/suggestions/37074/show-recently-updated-info-in-upgrade-settings

Thanks again!

There was a slight issue with the sync'ing to updates. We will have a fix for tomorrow.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast