Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Untangle slowing down VPN traffic on VLAN

Hello all,

I have a weird technical question that I hope you can help me solve. At home I have the TP link Omada AP set up. I use the controller and have 4 access points. Two outside and two (each floor) inside. On these I have 4 wifi networks set up. One for personal devices, one for IOT/streaming devices, one for outdoor and one for guest devices.

I hook up my work laptops and phones to the guest wifi network. I have that network set up as a VLAN in untangle and have told all modules to ignore traffic from the interface. The problem I am running into is on my work laptop.

We use Cisco AnyConnect for our VPN. For some reason when I have the computer connected to the VPN the speed is limited to 5Mbps and when I have it not connected the computer is maxing out at 200Mbos.

To try to solve the problem I connected my work laptop to my iPhone hot spot and the VPN is not limited anymore. So it seems to me that for some reason Untagle is messing with the VPN traffic and slowing it down. I tried it with another vpn provider on my phone and have the same issue so it seems to be the

where is the server endpoint of the VPN?
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untanglit

It's in Chicago. I asked by co worker to do a speed test on his computer with the same VPN server and he gets 90 Mbps so it's not the VPN server side.

Untangle Ninja

Can you try hooking the laptop to the isp modem?

I am not familiar with the Omada technology.

Things that will greatly reduce Wi-Fi speed are repeaters and mesh networks. You have to look at what is actually negotiated in the links, not the advertisement on the box.

Something else you can try is connecting a laptop directly to a NGFW LAN network with an Ethernet patch cable- a switch is OK.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Can you try hooking the laptop to the isp modem?
    Just tried plugging directly into the modem, with the VPN active I got 65Mbps down and 35Mbps up which is right for this vpn.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    I am not familiar with the Omada technology.

Things that will greatly reduce Wi-Fi speed are repeaters and mesh networks. You have to look at what is actually negotiated in the links, not the advertisement on the box.

Something else you can try is connecting a laptop directly to a NGFW LAN network with an Ethernet patch cable- a switch is OK.
    its not a mesh network, basically it is three wireless access points tied together with ethernet and a controller. I don't think it is the Omada https://www.tp-link.com/us/omada/ because if I turn off the VPN the laptop has full speed. I think something inside untangle does not like the traffic and is slowing it down.

Untangle Ninja

Do you have qos enabled? If so bypass the ports the vpn uses.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Do you have qos enabled? If so bypass the ports the vpn uses.
    I did, so I turned it off and no change. I just spent the last 30 minutes turning off each app and each setting to see if it could make a difference and nothing. It is like there is some incompatibility between untangle and cisco anyconnect.

Also I plugged in directly into my ethernet just to take the TP-link Omada wifi out of the equation. The speed stayed the same. It is something inside of untangled that is causing it but I can't find what.

Untangle Ninja

It has been a few versions since I used any connect, but it worked fine and I don't remember having to do anything special. I have since retired so can't test it any more. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast