Default error: symbol `grub_calloc' not found

2 days ago, on 9/8/2020, we had a very bad wind storm in the Salt Lake area which knocked out power for over 150k residents which included me. 9 hours later, our power came on and my NG z4 was not working. I was unable to connect via Ethernet and Command Center (through my mobile phone) indicated it was offline.

I had reset my Netgear Router and set it up as a router vs AP and went to bed.

Yesterday while at work, I came across some wiki articles how to restore my z4 appliance as a worst case scenario. The instructions were very good.

When I connected directly to my z4 appliance, I found it at the command prompt with this message:

error: symbol `grub_calloc' not found.
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>

I haven't used Linux in over 10 years so I just proceeded with resetting it with the most recent image from the instructions. I had 2 issues/concerns during this procedure.

1. 1. While executing makeboot.bat As Administrator, I received an error indicating it was not successful in preparing the USB drive as a bootable drive. Even attempted "syslinux64 -d syslinux64 -sfmar E:" with no luck.
    2. 2. I thought I'd try and boot from it anyway. When I entered the bios to insure the USB drive was selected, the only option was UEFI SANDISK USB. I tried it anyway and it still worked.

So, everything is back up and running and the current version is 15.0.0.

Today while browsing the forums (again at work) I found this thread about the 15.1.1 update: Thread: Release 15.1.1 - ignored update windows? which I then looked at the 15.1.1 ChangeLog and found this: Fixes grub rescue issue on z-series.

Does this attempt at fixing grub rescue issues have anything to do with the error I was seeing at the command prompt before I re-imaged my z4 appliance? In my command center, I saw the Disconnect notification at the exact time the power went out at my home, but I do not know if my z4 was updating at the time of power loss.

**As you professionals are reading this, yes... I know I should have a UPS on this device and will soon get one**

Thank you in advance.

Fix instructions

https://forums.untangle.com/installa...tml#post245520

Or install 15.1.1 and restore 15.1 backup.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Fix instructions

https://forums.untangle.com/installa...tml#post245520

Or install 15.1.1 and restore 15.1 backup.
    Thank you for this info. While my box is back up and running, I'll make sure the Auto Update is turned off.

Any chance Untangle can update the Clonezilla ISO image installer with 15.1.1 at https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/USB_image_installer

Update to 15.1.1 will prevent this issue.

Untangler

I'm dead in the water today with this issue too. Is the 15.0 installer available? My last backup is from version 15.0

Edit --> I'm back up again after repairing grub using tips from the link above.
    Last edited by MattFL2; 09-12-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Update to 15.1.1 will prevent this issue.
    I'm at ver 15.1.0, the upgrade screen shows no updates available. Is 15.1.1 not released yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MattFL2 View Post
    I'm at ver 15.1.0, the upgrade screen shows no updates available. Is 15.1.1 not released yet?
    15.1.1 is released to everyone. DM your UID to me, enabled support on config -> system -> support and I can take a look.

Edit: This change you made broke your UT upgrades. https://forums.untangle.com/installa...tml#post245687
    Last edited by jcoffin; 09-12-2020 at 08:44 AM.