Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Another option is to pull one simm out at a time and run it for a while.
    Yeah, I did this first - ran with all 4 different dimms for a couple days each - got crashes with each. So if it's the ram, maybe it's a bad batch, or a slight speed/voltage incompatibility.

It does not sound like ram.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

RAM is bought in batches, entire batches can be bad. You can't "test" ram by simply running it alone. Beyond the fact that you've taken dual channel into single channel, there are other changes made when you do this. It's too many variables to isolate anything.

Install all of it, and run memtest against the platform while it's running full speed. Get 3-4 passes done and you can be reasonably certain the RAM is good.

Assuming the above holds true, my next assumption is the SSD. SSDs fail like RAM does, but we lack the tools to properly test them in many cases. The only way to really rule one out, is to replace it and see if the issue goes away.

If THAT doesn't fix it, the mainboard has something incompatible or defective on it.
    yumbrad likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Well, I ran memtest with all tests for 4 hours, 3 passes, on all 4 DIMMS installed... Zero errors. Are there any logs I should poke around in if I can catch it dying with an SSH session logged in?

I am suspecting the NVMe drive, given the input/output error displayed when I tried to run top. Also, /var/log/syslog just abruptly stops in the case of a crash. Will have to replace I guess to be sure, the limited "SMART" data looks fine.

Yeah, welcome to how SSDs fail. And the primary reason why I refuse to use anything other than WD or Samsung branded SSDs from the consumer level drives. Intel drives almost exclusively for servers.

I rely on quality brands to get a much lower fault rate, because troubleshooting them is near impossible.
    TirsoJRP likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

yeah, I ordered a Samsung...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12