Question Docker in Untangle

I don't know if this is a silly question, but I'm wondering if you can theoretically run Docker in Untangle? I thought I read that the OS is based on Debian but I'm wondering if there would be complications from trying to install what is probably unsupported software. I am wanting to try it on a test VM but I thought I would check with the experts first to see if I'm wasting my time.

Any installation of third parity software will most likely break upgrades.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Why would you do this?

If you want to run Untangle alongside virtual work loads, you use a hypervisor as the host OS, and run Untangle as a guest. When you do this you wind up in a place where support can actually happen.

Hacking up Untangle to become a hypervisor is... not a great idea. It's already a hypervisor of sorts, and you'd be walking into utterly untested waters. And for what? To duplicate what you can do by simply running ProxMox / vSphere / HyperV on the host hardware and spin up an Untangle container?

Untangle is based on Debian, but it is not Debian. Docker is great at configuring partitions... so you'd be in effect sharing the Untangle kernel with more generic work loads. So you'd have issues there too...

No...

If you want an Untangle VM, than run it as such. No, Untangle isn't distributed as a Docker image. There is an OVA though, because Untangle wants a full container, not a partition.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the quick feedback, guys! So, I'm already running an imported OVF of Untangle with VMWare, alongside a headless Ubuntu Server VM running Docker, on an older SFF Dell with 8 GB of RAM. I was more curious about simplifying deployment and cutting down on resource consumption. I'm running docker to have adguard and some other tools that help me manage everything remotely because I'm shipping this PC to my Sister's house, which is 1,200 miles away and I'm gonna manage it remotely for them, which means I had to install a 3rd VM to have a GUI in their network. I absolutely LOVE Untangle but I like having docker as well. If they were together, I would believe that it would run way more efficiently than via a hypervisor. It's more of an awkward dream than a feature request lol.

Untangle Ninja

You might want to look at proxmox. It runs on very little resources. Untangle runs well on it. And has lxd containers built in. There are virtual consoles for each vm and a web ui for proxmox itself. Lots of good stuff you can find by going to their web site.

I totally forgot about Proxmox. I used it once, but I didn't know it was that efficient. Thank you!