Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Have fun getting a 40gbit fiber NIC to work on OpnSense...
    Well, I don't think 40Gb nic support is a big issue for 99.999% of home users (which is kind of what we were talking about). But point taken on hardware support differences between FreeBSD and Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    Well, I don't think 40Gb nic support is a big issue for 99.999% of home users (which is kind of what we were talking about). But point taken on hardware support differences between FreeBSD and Debian.
    Oh I know! But if you can tune a NIC to work at 40gbit, then you know that Intel Fiber driver can handle the slower stuff. Now, that may seem like it's extreme, but a single 10gbit NIC will be required fairly soon for some homes, just to drive the Internet connection. So having that capability proven now, has a ton of value.

At some point in the next ten years, we'll need a 10gbit capable router at home... I think it's absurd... but that's the way the ISP's are going. That is, unless everyone goes 5G and wireless, which would be far less expensive. But that also means... no Untangle. At least at home.

But my real point is Intel did the lifting to make that happen on Linux, and subsequently Debian. Some of that does flow downstream to the BSDs, but they're very much a back burner platform. We have enough troubles getting Untangle (Debian) to install and work on new platforms, BSD makes that so much worse.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I thought that was only good for 50 devices? I have more than 50 devices in my house that connect to the internet.
    It's up to 100 devices which should be enough for home usage!

Untanglit

Oh I know! But if you can tune a NIC to work at 40gbit, then you know that Intel Fiber driver can handle the slower stuff. Now, that may seem like it's extreme, but a single 10gbit NIC will be required fairly soon for some homes, just to drive the Internet connection. So having that capability proven now, has a ton of value.

At some point in the next ten years, we'll need a 10gbit capable router at home... I think it's absurd... but that's the way the ISP's are going. That is, unless everyone goes 5G and wireless, which would be far less expensive. But that also means... no Untangle. At least at home.

But my real point is Intel did the lifting to make that happen on Linux, and subsequently Debian. Some of that does flow downstream to the BSDs, but they're very much a back burner platform. We have enough troubles getting Untangle (Debian) to install and work on new platforms, BSD makes that so much worse.

i350-AM4 NIC (4x 10gbit NIC) is already well tested and official supported (as many others as well) but I get your point!
    The Untangle UI/UX is also well better as within OPNsense but I just don't like their current direction to limit features on HomePro!
    I would love to pay 3x for HomePro but it seems this will be not the case (and yes, they replied nearly one month ago, that they are thinking about some changes but I simple doubt this...).

Quote Originally Posted by JoergChm View Post
    It's up to 100 devices which should be enough for home usage!
    There is no device limit on HomePro.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

There is no device limit on HomePro.
    Agree :-) but I think for 90% of all home users, this should be enough (I own a huge house with nearly every possible sensor/IoT, 2 kids and also a huge home network lab and use about 82 of the 100 devices)

But for sure, there will be some home user limited by the 100 devices!

Untangle Ninja

...I just don't like their current direction to limit features on HomePro!
    I have no problem with you preferring OPNsense over NGFW for whatever reason or reasons you find compelling, but I don't understand this concern, and I haven't understood it any time it's been raised. HomePro never included all NGFW's features, and no one, to my recollection, said it would include all new features going forward. In other words, the "current direction" has been the only direction from the beginning of the HomePro subscription. Some things are in, and some are not.

And just to be fair, I can understand people's frustration with some of Untangle's marketing. Some disappointment and pushback is inevitable and understandable (but avoidable) when an upcoming release is touted on the basis of a new feature that Untangle have no intention of providing to everyone—but they don't say so up front. It feels like the HomePro subscription is, in those cases, an afterthought. I get the problem here.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    I have no problem with you preferring OPNsense over NGFW for whatever reason or reasons you find compelling, but I don't understand this concern, and I haven't understood it any time it's been raised. HomePro never included all NGFW's features, and no one, to my recollection, said it would include all new features going forward. In other words, the "current direction" has been the only direction from the beginning of the HomePro subscription. Some things are in, and some are not.

And just to be fair, I can understand people's frustration with some of Untangle's marketing. Some disappointment and pushback is inevitable and understandable (but avoidable) when an upcoming release is touted on the basis of a new feature that Untangle have no intention of providing to everyone—but they don't say so up front. It feels like the HomePro subscription is, in those cases, an afterthought. I get the problem here.
    Ohhh sorry if I was not clear enough:
    I would never preferring OPNsense over NGFW...still in love with Untangle BUT trying to get some feedback for OPNsense as Plan B.

In the past, only Enterprise needed features was missing within HomePro and in case it's required, there was a way to purchase it on top of HomePro. But now, more or less important features are missing and there is NO WAY to add this on top of HomePro.
    This is what I don't like and cause some doubts in my mind :-)

Untangle Ninja

In the past, only Enterprise needed features was missing within HomePro and in case it's required, there was a way to purchase it on top of HomePro. But now, more or less important features are missing and there is NO WAY to add this on top of HomePro.
    This is what I don't like and cause some doubts in my mind :-)
    Well, right from the beginning people complained about how Virus Blocker got "crippled," and that's not really an enterprise thing, but I get your point.

I don't understand the decision not to make the new apps available for purchase, but I never clearly understood the decision to make them available to home users at the enterprise prices.

And to be honest, that is, to be fair, I'm in the "less important features" camp over the new stuff. I played with Threat Prevention twice and found it too aggressive for my home use. Right off the bat it was blocking NTP pool servers, for example. Too much work for the value for me.

I'm undecided about WireGuard—to the point here; I have no use for it at home now, but I can see why some home users find it important.

Untangler

If you need/want wireguard setup a raspberry pi or a vm. It would be nice if Untangle included it but deal with it. If they offer wireguard and no one buys how much will they make?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast