Thread: Poor Throughput

Default Poor Throughput

I recently switched to Untangle from a Mikrotik I had a CCR1009. Swapped to Untangle with the following hardware:

DFI-DT122BE
    8GB Ram
    250GB SSD
    Intel X520 DA-2 NIC, with a 10G fiber uplink to my switch and a 1G uplink directly to my ONT provided by my fiber provider.

I have everything turned off other than Firewall, Reports and Tunnel VPN. I'm only getting about 200Mbps down and about 80Mbps up on a 1Gbps/500Mbps connection. I'm running speedtests to our on-net speedtest.net server that sits right off a 10G fiber connection.

What can be done to troubleshoot this? I'm getting similar results to speedtest servers off-net for me.

I've verified speed/duplex is set correctly.

Hey Brandon.

If you're familiar with accessing the device via SSH, you can try issuing the following commands to run a speed test at the CLI level of the NGFW:

wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/si...r/speedtest.py
    chmod +x speedtest-cli
    ./speedtest-cli

This will give you insight into what the Untangle is seeing from directly upstream.

If the WAN and LAN are similar but both less than expected, you'll need to figure out why the Untangle isn't being provided the proper speeds from upstream.

If what you're seeing on the WAN is significantly more than what you're seeing on the LAN, you'll want to assess your QoS configurations under Config>Network>Advanced>QoS.
    If it's unconfigured, consider configuring it with the appropriate values.

If after these configurations are made you're still seeing slow speeds, you'll likely want to assess your HW(CPU) as there isn't any other code that would be limiting your throughput.

**This is presuming the NIC is indeed negotiated at 1Gb and that the Bandwidth Control app isn't installed and running**

I was able to get logged in via SSH and found the following on this (this is with QOS enabled):

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from wyoming.com (216.67.149.26)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Wyoming.com (Riverton, WY) [15.68 km]: 2.097 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 512.95 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 358.86 Mbit/s

Here is with QOS disabled:
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from wyoming.com (216.67.149.26)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Wyoming.com (Riverton, WY) [15.68 km]: 1.583 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 406.24 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 409.67 Mbit/s

I'd be really happy with those speeds if I could pull them with a speedtest via the browser. It appears I should be getting much more than what I'm seeing.

I have double checked that the NIC's are negotiating at the proper speeds and even went and hardcoded them.

Better test...

login via ssh

service untangle-vm stop

Run your tests from a browser when it's the only thing connecting through Untangle at the time. The numbers you get are the max speed your hardware can push.

service untangle-vm start to turn the filters back on.

Make sure QoS is OFF when you do this.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-06-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I found the issue. Like a ding dong I had my work vpn client enabled. Disabled that and I'm seeing around 553M down by about 431M up that's with all the apps running I want.

Thanks for all the help folks, I appreciate it!

HA! That will do it!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com