Master Untangler

Default Upgrade from free to NG @ $25/mo

Currently I am using the free version of UT with some success. I wish I had more control than I presently do, over various types of items (ala pfsense), which is why I am considering upgrading to the $25/mo subscription version.

This affords me "up to 12 devices" on my network. I rebooted moments ago, and presently have 17 devices that UT has seen since that reboot. I will often have more, including guests, and devices that I use periodically, but regularly.

My most important use of UT is to keep my kids safe online. Secondary to that, I want to limit exposure to outside threads, phishing, viruses, etc. As such, with the free version, I am simply blocking traffic to and from virtually every nation in the world save for a few. With the paid service I can actually do some sort of packet inspection.

My third use would be basic traffic analysis; what hosts use the most bandwidth and when, what hosts are chatterboxes (my Ring cameras for example which have their ridiculous ping rates blocked by a pi-hole), who is going to what sites etc.

Obviously the human-driven devices will be the priority on the network, however I also have numerous appliance-type devices, whose network traffic I am also interested in (keeping a Chinese camera from phoning home, for example).

I am interested if any of you $25/mo "up to 12 devices" home users have since upgraded to an additional host count, or if you are using the main UT feature only for your most protected hosts?

Can I limit, by IP or MAC address, what hosts get inspected by what appliances, in order to minimize the number of hosts I have to buy, subscription-wise?

Thanks.

You can limit IPs inspected by adding the IPs NOT INSPECTED to bypass. in http://demo.untangle.com/admin/index...k/bypass-rules
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Do you really need Untangle Complete for $25/month for home use. Get the HomePro for $50/year, there's no device limitations. The only limit are the applications:
    Branding Manager
    Live Support
    Threat Prevention
    Virus Blocker
    (WireGuard VPN)

I was going to suggest the same thing. Though Threat Prevention is really nice for containing DoH and DoT enabled browsers. But not required when you have Web Filter in play. That's really the module you want.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

So I bought HomePro. We shall see how it goes. Thanks to all.
    Last edited by tucansam; 10-25-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    hpaunet likes this.

Untangler

I think you will find Untangle to be a great value. Is it perfect? No. It sure beats the crap out of anything else I have found for the home user. Have fun.
    hpaunet likes this.