Untanglit

Question Install Pi-Hole as LXC under Untangle?

I have Untangle installed on a PC Engines APU 4d4. This box is used as a home firewall. No fancy stuff. Just FW, Web Filter and Suricata.

Is it possible to leverage Debian's (Untangle's) LXC to run a Pi-Hole container on the same box?

Thks.

LXC module is part of Untangle. Any use of it is not supported but it is possible and should not affect upgrades. I use it for testing.

root @ gatewayhm] ~ # dpkg -l | grep lxc
    ii liblxc1 1:3.1.0+really3.0.3-8 amd64 Linux Containers userspace tools (library)
    ii lxc 1:3.1.0+really3.0.3-8 amd64 Linux Containers userspace tools
    ii lxc-templates 3.0.4-0+deb10u1 amd64 Linux Containers userspace tools (templates)
    ii untangle-lxc-client 16.0.1.20200610T225646.f6627eeae-1buster amd64 The Untangle LXC client
    donhwyo likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Thanks Jcoffin! have installed pihole and my internal network can reach it fine. next is to start lxc pihole automatically when untangle reboots.
    u_volto likes this.

Untangle Ninja

A howto in the hacks section would be great.

Thanks
    soldier, Jim.Alles and u_volto like this.

Untanglit

I second that.

I have questions regarding LXC's network/bridges types and how it would affect Untangle's operation.

Untanglit

Hi,
    As requested, have added on the hacks section forum on how i installed pihole on the lxc container via untangle. As a summary:
    Here is how to install Pihole or any application available for Debian like letsencrypt, DOH, dnscrypt, speedtest-cli, ntp server, samba, nfs or even wireguard vpn because untangle host has wireguard vpn support on the kernel, then the lxc will inherit it as well. Too bad wireguard app is not available in homepro that i bought.

On a high level we leverage the LXC Container which is part of untangle. install pihole on the container, create automatic startup for container when untangle boots up. This is pretty secure from a networking perspective since virtual switch of lxc is tied to the internal network rather than the WAN network.

Now i can repurpose my raspberry pi 4 which the sole purpose in life is to host my beloved glorious pihole. Very nice!

link: https://forums.untangle.com/hacks/43...tml#post246999
    Last edited by balrog; 10-28-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    jcoffin, u_volto, donhwyo and 1 others like this.