Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by bdoster View Post
    My new installation does not support that. After changing the Admin password and username, SSH still wanted the original password until I manually changed it. Happily I can still login to both using the updated credentials.
    The root password is set to match the admin password when the admin password is properly set in the GUI.

That is... unless Untangle broke something.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thank God I checked the forum. I have the same EXACT problem!! And I have been going crazy trying to figure out what happened.

- Fully functioning Untangle appliance with everything working on the network
    - Admin password does not work through the UI (I also have a customer admin username not the default "admin"). Also worth mentioning that the password has a lot of special characters.
    - Screen not detecting video input from the appliance when plugging a monitor in

Doing a quick check, it seems we are the only ones that have that problem.. could that be true?

I wonder if it is a bug triggered by the fact that we have a custom admin username or something?

If that's the case, what are the chances to get that investigated further by Untangle support if it is not a common problem?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The root password is set to match the admin password when the admin password is properly set in the GUI.

That is... unless Untangle broke something.
    Here's the sequence that I've observed...

Code:
    1) NGFW v14 ff working fine with:
       a. Custom Admin name
       b. non-default pwd
       c. SSH pwd matches custom account pwd
       d. Somewhere in v15x, video broke on my KVM switch
    2) UT upgraded to v16
       a. Admin pwd no longer works
       b. SSH pwd still works
       c. Video still broken on v16 w/o KVM switch
    Figured original install couldn't be trusted even if Admin pwd was recovered.

Code:
    3) Installed v16 to different hdd
       a. Video still broken
       b. Able to login to Admin UI with default credentials
       c. Changed Admin username and pwd at the same time
       d. New Admin pwd works
       e. SSH pwd is still at default
       f. Manually changed SSH pwd
       g. Both new pwds work
    Given my experience and what secpro90 just added to this thread, could it be that v16 chokes on installations with custom admin names? And maybe something in v15 trashed the video (mine used to work, even through the KVM switch).

Also might be worth mentioning...

I am running NGFW on an HP xw4200 workstation with a P4 CPU. When installing v16, I got the question asking if I wanted to install the SSSE3 app as my CPU does not support it. Answered NO twice and both times the installation failed at the end of the app selection phase. Tried it again and answered YES to the install question and the installation continued through to the end.

As I recall, I never saw that question during my initial installation years ago. Not to mention that the P4 does support SSSE3, so I should not have seen the question while installing v16. I don't know if that's related to the above, but well, now ya know.

v15.0 to v15.1 means new kernel, any video issues would have cropped up there. v15 to v16 is just a minor software update within Untangle itself.

Your systems lost the local GUI when you went to v15.1, you just didn't notice.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    v15.0 to v15.1 means new kernel, any video issues would have cropped up there. v15 to v16 is just a minor software update within Untangle itself.

Your systems lost the local GUI when you went to v15.1, you just didn't notice.
    Makes sense, and it wasn't a problem until the Admin UI access broke with v16.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123