Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Reset GUI Admin Password without a GUI?

This morning I found my admin station had lost connection to my firewall and was requesting that I login. No problem, I've done this a million times... except today it rejects every username/password combination I try. I'm sure I've entered the correct information at least 20 times today, and nothing works. So, I start looking into password recovery and find info on resetting the root password from grub. Tried that, it seemed to work, except I discovered later that was not where I wanted to be for this problem. Digging further I find I probably need to use Recovery Mode from the GUI on the NG machine. Problem is that I can't get to the GUI...

I didn't even try with my KVM switch in the mix. I dug up an old SVGA LCD monitor, plugged it in, powered on, and NOTHING gets me to the GUI admin screen. With the VGA monitor, every grub option but 'kern video mode' turns into a "Input not supported" message bouncing around the screen. Kern video mode eventually boots the UVM, so I get internet (duh! I'm here, right?). But I have no way to manage the beast as even kern video eventually lands on a "The server has failed to properly detect correct video and monitor settings." message followed by things to try...

1) Restart the server - done that several times including complete power downs
    2) Use a different monitor - tried a Dell P2217H - instead of the bouncing message, I see a message about using 1920 x 1080, 60Hz and everything stops there.
    3) Change the BIOS video card settings - n/a, it's a PCI card
    4) Remove any KVM... - first thing I did
    5) Try a different video card - did that, no help

And "Text Administration" is no different than any of the others non-kern video options.

So I have a functional firewall that can't be managed. I have ssh access but don't see any "admin" related accounts in the passwd file. What else can I do to fix this?

Thanks, I hope.

~bd

PS - Can I tell the UT version from an ssh session? I'm wondering if the upgrade to v16 happened last night and caused a reboot.
    Last edited by bdoster; 10-28-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I tried that link early on, but got stuck at step 8 where a GUI is required. I see that I can delete the admin.js file via ssh, but step 12 (Launch Client) again requires the GUI. Is step 12 required to be done on the UT machine, or will I be able to use the default password to access the admin page remotely at that point?

None of this requires the GUI, Launch client is just opening a browser on the device and connecting.

There is nothing that makes that process different than using your browser from another machine. Heck, you said early on you had SSH access, which is strange to me since the SSH password IS the admin UI password. But, if you've already deleted that .js password, on next UVM start the GUI's login is admin and passwd.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Yes, it is odd that I have ssh access, as it is indeed the Admin UI password that I used to login. The implication then is that the UI login is broken, not my password. I've tried a few different browsers and even a couple of different machines - it is not a browser cache issue.

Next guess is that it is certificate related. I've been using "certificateless https" for lack of a better term - I go to an https:// address, but I've never installed the certificate. As I only login from my local LAN, I just push through the browser warnings and login. I am also wondering if UT was upgraded to v16 two nights ago, and the new version doesn't like my login method? This leads to a couple of questions...

How does one see the UT version from an ssh session?
    How do I get the certificate installed into my browser without the Admin UI?

If you deleted the admin.js file, and rebooted your login and password is now admin, and passwd. Yes, those are case sensitive. Note, that's passwd, NOT password. Don't let your fingers autopilot that one!

If it tells you this is incorrect, I'd try a different browser on a different machine. If THAT is returning the same result, then either you didn't delete the correct .js file, or your install is hosed in some crazy way only support could help you.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I got the cert installed into the browser, so https is happy now. And I confirmed the version is 16.0 using 'ucli version'.

I still can't login to the UI using my credentials. Other things that may be significant...

* I use a custom user name, not admin
    * I use a custom port for ssl access
    * I cleared cookies and tried using port 443 - results in "This site can’t be reached"

So it appears that v16 does not like something about my config, but I can't figure out what that is.

Oh, and I can't reboot to test the deleted admin.js file for awhile as interrupting internet access is not acceptable right now.

Untangler

I finally got to reboot, but may have made a fatal error prior to doing so. Instead of deleting admin.js, I edited and changed the username line to show "admin" instead of my customized account name. After rebooting, I've lost ssh access and still have no UI login.

So now I am stuck with no UI login, no ssh, and no video mode will get me to a functional interface on the machine itself. It seems I can try to fix the video issue, or I can reinstall. If I reinstall I will need a functional interface on the machine of some sort, so I'm not even sure that is an option. Unless there's another way, it seems I'm off to video troubleshooting land...

I think you'll find if you reinstall your video works... something is very wrong with your install and a reinstall is a great way to clean that up.

But, let's say that it doesn't... you install using text mode, then on reboot the GUI jumps off a cliff. The 2nd interface on the device will be static, at 192.168.2.1, and you can hit that via HTTP and complete first boot from there. It's not ideal for obvious reasons, but it works.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

When reinstalling, will it offer to keep my current firewall config/settings, or will I have to start again from scratch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast