Untangler

Default Swap usage on version 16

On the previous version the swap file never really increased, even with 4GB RAM. On version 16, what I'm finding is the swap is gradually increasing and the performance is decreasing. Before I upgraded I upgraded the unit to 8GB.

I find I have re reboot the unit prob every two weeks to clear the swap and improve performance again. I've also had some Ring devices that stop working. Reboot fixes it.

ATM TBH I'm looking to swap out for an alternate NGFW.

I'm not seeing the same trends on any of my units. I've got some with 2gb in them still! Happily chugging along. I'd try a reinstall honestly, perhaps some quirk of an upgrade who knows when? Doesn't hurt to clean out the cobwebs. Backup, reinstall, restore... Sometimes you just need to do it.

But if you want an alternative, OPNSense with Sensei.

P.S. Untangle I hope you're listening, because with these guys I have free IPSec AND Wireguard, along with a workable UTM solution to grow with. These guys are positioned to take Untangle off at the knee.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-16-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    donhwyo and wbennett77 like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Took a screenshot incase they delete it. LOL

They won't delete it, the market is full of options.

This is one long thought to be surpassed... and yet it's back! It's not as good in some ways though... so it's not like it's a complete upgrade or direct replacement.

That world requires MORE know how on the part of the partner. The reports are less clear. The platform has some scaling issues Untangle doesn't really have.

OpnSense and PFSense vs Untangle has always been that way... they are sort of comparable, but not... but in the right circumstances one or the other makes more sense. I support both, I use both.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com